The 9 Items You Need In Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

By the time you are in college – or worse, 22, and about to graduate – it is time for a serious update to your wardrobe. Now is the time for good quality pieces that you can mix and match. Forever 21 and Target are great, but for the basics, quality is better than quantity. Here are 9 pieces that you really should have in your closet by the time you start college!

1. A pair of dark wash jeans that really fit. 

By the time you’ve gotten this far in your college career/life, it’s important to have a good pair of dark wash jeans that really fit. They should look good, fit correctly, and feel comfortable. These are your ideal pants to throw on to go to class, or for a nice dinner with a fitted blazer and sparkly top. You can wear them to the bars or to brunch with your boyfriend’s parents. Good jeans can be dressed up and dressed down, and are an important staple for all seasons.

2. A black blazer.

A good quality blazer will be your best friend – even better if you can find a weight that will work for at least three seasons. Blazers are perfect for making you look professional as you run to the career center for an interview, and look great over a silky tank for dinner in the North End. Blazers take you to the next level with minimal effort.

3.  Plain white tee shirt.

A plain white tee shirt goes with everything.  Wear it with your dark wash jeans and black blazer, and jazz it up with a chunky necklace.  Wear it with denim cutoffs and Toms for an easy summer look.  Or tuck it into a printed skirt and add wedges for the perfect summer date look.  Just don’t forget your Tide-To-Go pen!  Loose fitting white tanks are also great for the spring and summer months!

4. Plain black heels (that you can actually walk in!)

Plain black heels are perfect for every situation. A girl always needs a pair of comfortable heels for interviews, work, and special occasions. Try shoes on in the afternoon, and make sure that they really fit and are comfortable enough to walk a few blocks. Hold out for the perfect pair, and you won’t be disappointed!

5. A white button down.

A white button down is classic. It can go with a pencil skirt for work or an interview any time of the year, or it can go with jeans and a cute pullover sweater for apple picking in the fall. Wear a white button down with printed shorts in the summer and be the cutest one at dinner on the beach! Wearing a button down makes you look put-together in an instant – just don’t forget to iron it first!

6. A pair of knee high leather boots.

Boots for the fall and winter are perfect for making you look put-together with minimal effort. Worn over leggings with a flowy top and a scarf – it’s the perfect look for class, or for a walk around the Res on a pretty day. They also look great with a dress and jean jacket in the spring. Buy quality and they will last forever!

7.  The perfect little black dress. 

This dress will complete your wardrobe. The most versatile item you will own, it will go from a hot date to the interview for your dream job. You always need a LBD in reserve for those days where nothing else seems to look good, when you have to attend a nice dinner, or if you ever have to go to a funeral. A little black dress will get you through every life event, and make sure it looks good, and fits perfectly. Get something nice – it’s been said that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.

8. Good quality makeup.

At a certain point, even with makeup, quality becomes more important than quantity. How many times do you really use that bright orange nail polish you bought for that one theme party? And how many times a week does your CVS foundation make you break out? Get your makeup done at a counter like Bobbi Brown and invest in basic foundations, bronzers, and eye shadows that really work for your skin color and type. Mascara and nail polish can be bought at the drug store, but it’s a grown up step to move on to good stuff for your skin and eyes – and it will truly make a difference.

9.  Fun accessories.

My mom always used to tell me that what you wear should look classic, and should be quality, but your accessories can be trendy and fun. Since fun jewelry (like statement necklaces and chandelier earrings) goes in and out of style so quickly, buy the cheap stuff and enjoy it while it lasts. J. Crew Factory always has great sales on funky jewelry, and because it’s cheap you don’t hate yourself when that really hip charm necklace falls apart, or falls off trend next season. 

There are obviously a ton of items that can be considered wardrobe staples, but it’s important to stock up on versatile items that make you look and feel good.  Building your closet is about having basic neutrals and structured pieces that go anywhere, but it also means that you will never be stuck without a plan for the important events in your busy life!

Here are some good sites to buy these basics:

www.gap.com

www.jcrew.com

www.anntaylor.com

www.anthropologie.com

www.talbots.com

www.bananarepublic.com

www.brooksbrothers.com

www.nordstrom.com

www.toryburch.com

Collages made on: www.Polyvore.com

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum