7 Secrets of Newton That Upper Kids Don’t Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The Newton/Upper rivalry will never fail to exist on BC’s campus. Although the Newton kids are stuck with the bus, their secluded campus truly takes time to make the freshman Newton experience equal, or better, than the Upper experience. Below is a list of hidden treasures that occur on Newton’s campus that most Upper kids probably don’t know about.

1. Thirsty Thursdays: Yes, you read that right. Every Thursday in Stuart Dining Hall, a new homemade milkshake is being served in fun glasses with music blasting, creating a very fun atmosphere. Not to mention, the workers in Stuart are dancing and singing andmaking the community much more fun than the average night in Mac.

2. HOOTS and HOWLS: “Hang out on Tuesdays” or “Hang out Wednesdays late” are programs that happen on every floor all over Newton each week. Hosted by RAs, the bonding activities can range from just enjoying a delicious snack like chocolate fondue, to creating decorations for you dorm room. Once again, this builds a sense of community on every floor.

3. Stuart Dining Hall specialties: The number of special things Stuart does is not even countable. First, they make the best (and biggest) homemade cookies that aren’t found anywhere else on campus. Secondly, the Panini station makes hillside-like sandwiches without the hike down to Lower. Thirdly, the barista and coffee counter is available to make delicious lattés and cappuccinos like those at the Chocolate Bar. In addition to all this, every holiday Stuart is completely decorated with vibrant and fun decorations.

4. Bus sing-alongs: Whether it is on the way to a hockey game or after a late weekend night out, the Newton bus is always full of energy. From “Sweet Caroline” to “We Can’t Stop” by Miley Cyrus there is always some sing-along to join in on.

5. Trails in the woods and fields: In need of a nice wilderness walk or run? The trails behind Newton Campus make the perfect destination on a nice day with a perfect wilderness feel. Especially in the fall, these paths are a beautiful and private area to run through. Also, the soccer fields are a great place to throw together a game.

6. Sledding hills: You can’t beat the hills on Newton when it comes to sledding, and knowing all the people sledding with you makes it even more fun. Seeing the baby hills full of sled marks on Upper is like a joke in comparison.

7. Law classrooms and students: Having an entire law classroom for two or three people during finals week is a huge plus. Although freshmen can’t study in the law library, the classrooms are great study spaces. In addition, hard working (and cute) law students around during the week are definite motivators when you start to slack off.

So, to the Upper kids who thought Newton was so horrible, maybe it’s time to take a bus over and check it out yourself. You might discover even more things you didn’t know existed, like the huge sense of community. 

Freshman at Boston College!
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum