7 Classic Books to Read in Your Free Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

If you love books like I do, you know that in college there is hardly enough time to read as much as you want to. But for those of us who can’t go too long without picking up a good book, we know how to find time here and there. If you’re interested in a new read, why not try an old classic? Here are 10 that are pretty great. 

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This is one of my personal favorite novels because it has everything from romance to (19th century) scandal. If you’ve seen the Kiera Knightley movie version or the BBC miniseries, you’ll probably know the plot, but the book offers so much more. The romance between Elizabeth and Darcy is too good to pass up.

2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Contrary to popular belief, Frankenstein is not the monster; he’s the scientist who creates the monster. Everyone should read this classic if only to set straight the misconceptions about it. It is a beautiful tale of humanity wrapped in the guise of a monster story. 

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

With a “plain” looking heroine, Jane Eyre does not create a perfect female protagonist, but it does present us with a real woman creating her own way in the world. A romance first and foremost, however, it presents a tale of enduring love and sacrifice, as well as intriguing us with a dark secret and a dramatic ending.

4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Written by another Brontë sister, Wuthering Heights details the beautiful yet tragic lives of two lovers who have known each other since childhood. The haunting descriptions and the fantastic writing makes this a must-read for any reader.

5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

The iconic March sisters come to life in Alcott’s writing as you follow them through the trials and triumphs of growing up. Set in 18th century Massachusetts, Little Women will have you turning page after page as you get to know Jo, Meg, Amy, Beth, Marmie, and Laurie. 

6. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

If you’re looking for a book with superb writing, this is it. The story, however, is disturbing yet intriguing. Nabokov takes the reader into the mind of the fascinatingly repulsive Humbert Humbert (that is not a mistake, it is his name!). It is narrated in Humbert’s voice as he takes us along his journey of seducing a woman just to get close to her 12 year old daughter, and his eventual relationship with that daughter, Lolita. I told you it was creepy. 

7. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

What happens when a plane of schoolboys crash-lands on a deserted island with no way to contact the outside world or any adults? This is the question Lord of the Flies answers in a most fascinating way. These schoolboys must create their own kind of law and order in a place where everything is wild, eventually succumbing to this savagery of nature. It is a dark look at what human nature becomes without the confines of society.

Hopefully, you find some time in your busy life to sit down and enjoy one of these classic novels sometime soon.

Alexandra is a Senior History major with an English minor at Boston College who can always be found procrastinating by reading books or watching Netflix. She is known for making puns so bad that not even her friends laugh at them (but she always does). Her favorite ice cream flavor is Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Favorite movies include When Harry Met Sally, Dead Poets Society, and The Princess Bride.