6 Poses Every Girl Does, But Won’t Admit To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

When the camera comes out, there are certain poses every girl does, whether they admit to it or not. If you “don’t know what I’m talking about,” then read on. Admit it, you do it and you love it.

A special thanks to all of my roommates who let me use them as examples.

1. The Skinny Arm

How many times have you retaken a picture because you forgot to “skinny arm” it? If you’re like me, the skinny arm is pretty crucial to every photo you take. Let’s face it ladies, everyone knows what we’re doing. We aren’t fooling anyone, but that’s not going to stop me from continuing to do it in every picture I take.

2. The Sorority Squat

Here at BC, there are no sororities, but that hasn’t deterred us! The sorority squat is the go-to for any picture involving more than five or six people, as demonstrated here by your very own Her Campus BC team members.

3. The Not-So-Candid Candid

Hey, you! No one caught you in the middle of a laugh and if they did, then they must be an amazing photographer because that picture is way too good to be candid. It’s not candid if you announce to everyone what pose to do before the picture is taken.

4. The Aerial Selfie

This pose pretty much speaks for itself. It showed up in middle school and just never went away and as long as there are phones on our cameras, the aerial selfie will prevail!

5. Glasses Up!

The best way to show everyone that you are having a great time is obviously to take a picture of your drinking glasses or better yet you and all your friends holding up your glasses smiling and cheering.

6. “Crazy” Photo

How many times have you said or heard, “Ok now a funny one!” Probably more than you like to admit, but hey they make you laugh when you look back. Plus, it’s easier to like a picture when you know you did that ugly face on purpose and weren’t just caught at a bad time. Am I right, ladies? 

There are so many more poses that could be discussed, but maybe I’ll save that for next time. Write in with suggestions for next time and your idea just might show up on Her Campus BC. Until then, keep smiling and striking those poses BC collegiettes!

Katherine ValentinoSenior in A&S English Major Minor in American Studies, concentration in journalism 
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."