5 Ways to (Naturally) Feel Healthier and Look Better in 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This is part of Her Campus BC’s “Have a Healthy New Year” series, which focuses on eating healthier, getting in shape, and making 2011 great without going to extremes.  Look for a new article in this series every day this week!

As we’ve all probably noticed by now, the Plex is once again out of control.  Lines for the machines have skyrocketed and the sweat hanging in the air is almost unbearable.  The typical college girl New Year resolution revolves around crash dieting and “getting in great shape for SB’11.”  However, these techniques are sometimes extreme and turn a girl into a “Plexaholic” (ladies, you all know who I mean – the girl who is on the elliptical so long that it seems as if she is sweating away into nothing).  But I am here to tell you there is a much simpler way to detox your life and feel healthier!  Toxins and chemicals build up in our bodies and can make us feel bad.  They enter our body in many different ways, but the most unexpected and dangerous is through the products we use daily on our hair, face, and body.

The skin absorbs what it we put on it, so as heavy consumers of products (Skin Deep, a study by Environmental Working Group, states that the average person uses nearly 10 personal care products containing an average of 126 unique ingredients each day), we need to start making educated decisions about what products we use.  While the list of bad chemicals and toxins can be scary and overwhelming, the good news is that there are many great organic, safe, and toxic free choices out there.  It’s easier than you think to make educated and safe product choices that will not only make you feel better but look fabulous as well!

Here are my 5 favorite safe products to use:

1.)  Burt’s Bees:  Rejuvenating Lip Balm with Acai Berry — $3.00

I love this chapstick!  It really moisturizes and renews chapped and cracked lips.  It is 100% natural and infused with acai berry, which gives you an extra boost of antioxidants and vitamins A, C, D, and E!  It runs at about $3.00 and can be found at most CVS locations and other drugstores.  The BC bookstore also has a great selection of Burt’s Bees products!

2.)  Teens Turning Green Pomega5 Cleansing Bar — $10.00

I swear by this amazing cleansing bar.  It leaves my skin feeling great and healthy!  This bar is a 100% pure, soap-free cleanser, which was created with the most natural ingredients available.  It uses organic pomegranate seed oil to heal and refresh skin, extra-virgin olive oil to nourish and moisturize the face, natural botanicals to unclog pores, and the aroma-therapeutic lemongrass scent gives you an uplifting scent to start your morning!  Teens Turning Green products are carried at Whole Foods or can be purchased on their website http://www.teensturninggreen.org/index.php

3.)  John Masters Organics Dry Hair Nourishment and Defrizzer — $16.00

Whenever my hair is feeling a little dry (especially during these winter months), I drop a little of this organic, cruelty-free hair “moisturizer” in after I shower.  Created with a blend of plant and essential oils, this leave-in hair treatment soothes dry and untamed hair.  There are four main oils that combine together to create great looking hair – jojoba oil moisturizes the hair, lavender slows hair loss, rosemary adds volume and shine, and cedarwood acts as an anti-inflammatory and treats oily scalps.  You can find John Masters products at Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe and other salons.

4.)  Jane Iredale Pure Lash Mascara — About $30

Jane Iredale products never use parabeans, fragrance, or other synthetic chemicals when creating their skin care and make-up line.  This mascara not only enables sensitive people to have bold-looking eyes, it also has a hypoallergenic formula to deliver a smear free look!  It is water-resistant and uses seaweed liposomes to retain moisture.  Algae extracts help to protect your eyelashes from splitting.  It is available for purchase at salons surrounding Boston College as well as in large department stores. Go to http://www.janeiredale.com/wheretobuy.html to find the closest location to you!

5.)  Cool Planet Live Green Body Lotion (Honey Almond Milk) — $16.49

This 100% pure, vegetarian body lotion comes in a variety of flavors, including chocolate for all you ladies with a chocolate addiction (myself included!).  My favorite, however, is the honey almond milk – not only does it smell delicious, but it also hydrates and softens your skin.  It doesn’t contain any of the toxins that are in artificial fragrances, chemical preservatives and synthetic chemicals.  Instead it uses organic ingredients such as white tea, cocoa and avocado butters, grape seed, blackcurrant, and extracts from seeds.  It can be found at http://www.coolplanetstore.com/store/organic_natural_body_lotion_cream.html

Source:
http://www.organicbeautysource.com/p/why-green_24.html

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.