This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As the warm weather is creeping in and the sun is beginning to peep through the clouds, we can all feel that summer is right around the corner. The school year is coming to an end which means that assigned reading will take a momentary pause for students. So, if you find yourself struggling for the perfect book for your summer vacation without the help of your favorite lit professor, here is a list of 5 great books of 2019 that you should pick up this summer!

Ordinary People by Diane Evans

Set in London, this book looks at two couples and the intricacies of ordinary life.

The Plus One by Sophia Money-Coutts

A quick-paced and funny read, this book follows the story of a girl who is absolutely determined to bring a date to her best friend’s wedding even though she has no prospects.

Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James

Drawing on African mythology, this number one bestseller tells the story of a hunter trying to find a lost child in a dark and magical world.

Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams

This debut novel has become an instant hit from Candice Carty-Williams. Described as “joyous, memorable, and necessary” this book tells the story of Queenie, a young, black woman navigating work, family and dating.

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

With a title that somewhat speaks for itself, this pageturner of a book tells the story of Korede and the incredibly dark secret that she is keeping.

We hope you enjoy these summer reads! 

Sources:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/books/best-new-books-for-summer-holiday-2019-a4136741.html

http://www.cfschools.org/schools/cedar-heights/blog/2018/05/23/959-summer-reading-opportunities-for-families

Alana is a Senior at Boston College studying Math and Economics. She spent a semester studying in London and traveling throughout Europe. A movie, music, and milk chocolate enthusiast she spends her time quoting Leslie Knope, tagging her friends in puppy instagrams, and taking pictures of her food.