stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Bad Habits to Ditch This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

New year, new you! This school year, strive to be the best you that you can be. That means ditching the old bad habits and trading them in for useful tools of success!

Bad Habit #1 – Bad Note-Taking

You’re in a college student. That means that you’re paying for the classes you’re taking. If you’re not doing your best to really learn everything you can from your classes, then you’re missing out. Taking good notes is key to doing well in a class. Figure out a style that works for you during class and then don’t forget to go back over them again that night to highlight key concepts.

Bad Habit #2 – Blowing Off Homework

It doesn’t matter if your professor doesn’t check it. Doing your homework reinforces the topics covered in class and prepares you for your exams. It’s a crucial part of the learning process and if you skip out on half the work, you’ll only be doing half the learning. Do yourself a favor and set aside some time aside after class or that evening to sit down and do your homework. The concepts will still be fresh in your mind and the extra practice will help you retain the knowledge.

Bad Habit #3 – Unhealthy Diet

You don’t necessarily need to drop all unhealthy food from your diet right away. But take a look at your overall diet. How are you eating? What would your mom say? Are you having chocolate milk or soda with dinner? Swap it for water. Be conscious of eating your vegetables. Cut back on sugar during the daytime and save it for dessert instead. You don’t have to change everything, but consider cutting back on the more unhealthy foods and replacing them with healthier alternatives where you can.

Bad Habit #4 – Not Drinking Water

Have you drank anywhere close to the recommended amount of water today? I know I haven’t. While drinking eight cups of water a day (and actually you should really probably be drinking nine, ladies…) seems nearly impossible, it certainly doesn’t hurt to try and get as close as you can.

Bad Habit #5 – Sedentary Lifestyle

As a student, you spent a lot of time sitting down. If you’re not making an effort to counteract that with an active lifestyle, that takes a toll on the body. Try to add exercise into your life wherever you can, whether it’s going for a morning run or just taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Start and end your days with a lot of stretching and be sure to take stretch breaks throughout your day as well!

It doesn’t matter if you’re just going into your freshman or senior year, make this year the best you can by ditching these bad habits and rocking out this year!

Rising sophomore at Boston College.