4 TV Shows to Catch Up On Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Finals are over, the stress of school has dissipated, and now you are free to do whatever you please for an entire three weeks.  What is one of the best ways to spend winter break?  Snuggling up in front of your TV (or your laptop) and catching up on some of this year’s must-see TV shows of course!  Here are some of my personal picks for what TV is winter break-worthy!

1. Homeland: 

You’ve probably heard all your friends talking about Showtime’s latest sensation, Homeland.  The show, starring Claire Danes and Damian Lewis, is currently in its second season, so now is the perfect time to catch up!  The basic plot is that Marine Sergeant Nicholas Brody (played by Damian Lewis) returns home eight years after going missing in Iraq.  Carrie Mathison (played by Claire Danes) is a driven CIA officer, who suspects that Brody might be plotting an attack on America.  Every episode leaves viewers hanging onto the edge of their seats, filled with suspense and in dire anticipation of the next episode.  The storylines and characters are completely unpredictable and your opinion of the characters will change from episode to episode.  Make sure to set aside a few days where you have no obligations or plans because once you start watching, you won’t be able to step away from your TV.  That’s a promise. 

2. Girls: 

If you aren’t already obsessed, then you need to take some time this Winter Break to watch season one of HBO’s hit show Girls.  Lena Dunham is a triple threat – writer, director, and actress.  Her depiction of a close group of twenty-somethings living in New York City is hauntingly realistic and filled with plenty of awkward moments.  The writing is spot on and almost every sentence muttered by Marnie, Hannah, Shoshanna, and Jessa strikes a chord.  Each character is incredibly different, ranging from Marnie, the determined art gallery assistant, to Jessa, the free spirit.  Personally, I am a huge fan of Shoshanna. She’s a student at NYU, obsessed with Sex and the City, who tells it as it is.  Season two premieres January 13th on HBO, so you have just enough time to watch season one before the show’s return!

3. Downton Abbey: 

I’m going to be honest – I haven’t watched a single episode of Downton Abbey…yet. I fully intend to change that over winter break by watching season one and two in preparation for the season three premiere on January 6th.  From what I hear, this show is phenomenal and you don’t have to be a self-proclaimed anglophile to enjoy it!  To give you a little bit of background, season one begins in 1912 just after the sinking of the Titanic.  Downton Abbey is all in a fluster because the Earl of Grantham has three grown daughters and the heir to his land and title died in the accident.  A new heir must be identified and it is a distant cousin, Matthew Crawley, who was not raised in the upper class like all of his relatives.  Crawley arrives in town and let’s just say that plenty of drama follows his arrival.  Supposedly the plot is addicting (some fanatic viewers comparing it to crack…), filled with intrigue, heroes, villains, and plenty of love storylines. Definitely take the time to get into this show while you detox from finals this winter break.

4. Once Upon a Time: 

Clearly we are huge Once Upon A Time fans at Her Campus BC.  Combine fairy tales with a beautiful cast and the genius minds that created Lost, and what you have is a flawless TV series.  Ginnifer Goodwin plays a convincing “Snow” and Jennifer Morrison plays Snow’s kickass daughter.  The costumes are amazing, the storyline is filled with cliffhangers, and the special effects are out of this world…literally.  And the best part is that new fairy tale characters are introduced almost every week!  Mulan, Belle, The Mad Hatter, and Pinocchio – you name the character and they are guaranteed to show up in at least one episode.  If you need more reasons to tune in, check out our article on why you can’t miss Once Upon A Time

Photo sources:

http://cim-cim-images.cdn2.com…

http://www.jillstanek.com/wp/w…

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/i…

http://images5.fanpop.com/imag…

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."