4 Easy Steps to Make Your 21st Birthday Unique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As a junior, it seems that all of my friends are turning 21 these days. It’s very easy to get stuck in the same old rut of 21st birthday celebrations, so how can you make your party unique if you have a late birthday? Here are 4 easy steps you can take to ensure your birthday stands apart from the rest:

1) Make your birthday party themed.

Create a fun and easy theme that both guys and girls can have fun with. Make sure it is an original theme that really speaks to your character; after all, you will be the guest of honor and will want to have the best outfit! For example, if you want to celebrate your wild side on your 21st, do a simple theme such as “Young, Wild, and Free” and see what people do with it! The key is to have fun and make your party stand out amongst the others.

2) Go to a new bar.

Instead of having the same 21st birthday drinks at midnight at the same dive bar as everyone else, travel into Boston for classy cocktails at a new venue. While it’s really fun to march into your usual hangout and beg them to card you, there are many different bars and restaurants out there that you can now explore! There will be no need to worry about whether you can get in or not with your ID, so go explore and bring along your legal friends!

3) Have dinner with your parents, if you can.

If one or both of your parents are able to visit you on your birthday, go out to dinner or brunch with them. It is easy to understate how fun drinking with your parents can actually be. Don’t get swept away in the crazy weekend celebrations and forget how nice it is to have a fancy dinner on your parents! You will have the rest of your life to drink and go crazy at the bars.

4) Choose your favorite alcohol and only serve that at the party!

Many off-campus parties have a plethora of beers and handles of Rubinoff, but after a while it’s hard not to get sick of these drinks. Do you have a favorite specialty drink or wine? Only serve that at the party. Your guests will thank you! For example, if you really adore Franzia wine, have different boxes of the wine around the house for when your guess arrive! It will make the celebration more pleasurable for everyone!

If you follow these four steps, your 21st birthday festivities will stand apart from the rest! But be warned, this might make you the coolest 21-year-old on campus and give you a reputation that you will have to strive to uphold! Cheers to that.

Sources:

http://www.magicjumprentals.com/pages/planning-a-21st-birthday-party

http://www.disneydreaming.com/2013/07/22/selena-gomez-celebrates-her-21st-birthday-at-midnight/

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum