This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s that time of year again: Awards Season! This time of year is the most exciting for movie buffs as they can celebrate the films that engaged them throughout the past year. The Oscars are the arguably the most important awards ceremony and the Academy just released the nominations. As the celebrities prepare for the biggest night in Hollywood on February 9th, let us prepare by watching the nine films nominated for Best Picture. Here is a brief overview of each film.

1917

1917 is a historical fiction film set during the First World War. The film largely draws from director Sam Mendes’ grandfather’s experience in the war. The plot centers around two young British soldiers who are tasked with calling off an attack that will kill many, including one of the soldier’s brother. 1917 did remarkably well at the other award ceremonies, so it is definitely a front runner as we head into the Oscars.

Ford v Ferrari

Ford v Ferrari centers on the story of engineers and designers tasked with creating a Ford racecar that would beat Ferrari. This is a true story based on the 24 Hours of Le Mans race that took place in 1966. Starring Matt Damon and Christian Bale, this film was highly successful amongst viewers.

The Irishman

The Irishman feel very reminiscent of The Godfather, in that the film focuses on Frank Sheeran’s experience with the mob. While this film received criticism for its length, the immense star power present in Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci, who are familiar with playing these types of roles, makes the film feel authentic.  

Jojo Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit is an interesting take on World War II, in that it takes the Nazi viewpoint in a comical way. The film tells the story of a Hitler Youth member who finds out that his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in the attic. It is a very interesting film and one that you definitely should not miss if you enjoy dark humor.  

Joker

Joker has received a lot of media attention since its original release, which bodes well as it heads to the Oscars. The film provides a dark backstory for the DC comics villain. Do not be fooled, this film is not your typical superhero movie. It is a psychological thriller that is captivating from start to finish.

Little Women

Based off of Louisa May Alcott’s novel, Little Women tells the story of the four March sisters as they come of age during the late 19th century. This is the seventh film adaptation of the novel, and arguably the most successful. This success is in part due to the star-studded cast that includes Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Laura Dern, Meryl Streep, and Timothée Chalamet.

Marriage Story

Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver star in this Netflix original film that tells the story of a marriage falling apart. This film has received many accolades throughout this awards season as it is a moving, authentic portrayal of divorce.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Directed by Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tells the story of an actor, Leonardo DiCaprio, and his stunt double, Brad Pitt, as they navigate the end of Hollywood’s golden age of the 1960s. This film is a classic Quentin Tarantino film, which is to say there are unexpected twists and turns.

Parasite

Parasite is a South Korean film that tells the story of a poor family plotting to work for a wealthy family by posing as more accomplished individuals. This film was the first non-English film to win the SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, which is a good sign as it heads to the Oscars.

Don’t forget to tune in February 9th to see which film walks away with the coveted Oscar for Best Picture! Comment your predictions below.

Hi, I'm Fallon! I'm a senior at Boston College and this year's BC campus correspondent. I am a communications major and marketing minor and I am originally from St. Paul, Minnesota. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with friends, catching up on Netflix, and exploring Boston!