13 Reasons Your Dad Should Also Be Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

From the moment we’re born, dads aim to make us happy, safe, and loved. It’s easy to forget how much they do for us and easy to forget to give them the credit they deserve. Often times we understand why our mothers or sisters are our best friends. But dads deserve credit for all they do as well. Here are 13 reasons your dad should also be your best friend:

1. They’re your biggest protector.

There is nothing a dad wouldn’t do to protect their child. They always aim to make sure we feel as little pain as possible. Whether it’s making sure your training wheels are on your bike so you don’t get hurt, checking under the bed for monsters, or insisting on meeting the new guy you decide to date- dads are there to make sure everything is okay.

2. They set the standards for any guy you meet-and hold them to that standard.

Let’s face it: all dads have a little problem when their daughter starts dating. They fear their girl’s hearts getting broken. But dads set the standards for the guys their daughters date. Our dads are protective, funny, and kind and that’s the standard they hold the guys that their daughter dates to. Everything they do is because they care and they want what and who is best for us.

3. They’re your biggest fan.

Whether it’s your little league soccer game, a dance recital, or your graduation day: dads are there to cheer you on every step of the way. They’ll cheer you on no matter what you do. They’re always rooting for you and they’re there to help you along every step of the way.

4. They support your choices.

Whether it’s changing your outfit for the day, changing your major, or switching careers, a dad will always support your choices. Sure, it may take some time and convincing, but once they’re on board they’re on of your biggest supporters.

5. They might be the only person who thinks about the day you’ll get married as much as you.

Giving his daughter away is a huge step for any dad. They’re willing to let another man into your life. He thinks about that moment and his first dance with you from the moment you’re born. It’s bittersweet for them to think about the day you officially leave them.

6. They never complain about supporting you and making you happy.

They make every possible effort to support you and your family as best they can. Whether it’s getting up every day to go to work, carpooling to dance class, or helping with homework- dads always have time for you, and never complain about supporting you, because they know it’s all for your happiness.

7. They don’t hold grudges and cant stay mad at you.

There isn’t a kid in the world who hasn’t had an argument or fight with their dad. But that doesn’t mean they don’t love you. And it doesn’t mean they stay mad at you. No matter what you do, dads can’t hold grudges or stay mad for long, because no matter what they love you.

8. Constantly remind you in little ways they love you.

Of course our dads tell us they love us all the time. But they do it in little ways as well. Telling us to “put our seatbelt on” or “be careful”, or asking us how our day was, are dads little ways of reminding us how much we mean to them.

9. There’s nothing like dad humor.

Dad’s humor is normally witty, sarcastic and even well timed. They know how and when to lighten the mood even if that requires embarrassing you.

10. They teach you how to drive.

Most people learn to drive from their dads. And despite appearing calm, cool, and collected- dad’s probably have mini panic attacks from the moment they get in that car with you. And no matter how terrible we may be, our dads still encourage us and never fail to help us practice.

11. They teach you how to be tough emotionally and physically.

Dads will teach us to be tough in any way possible. Whether its teaching us to be confident, stand up for ourselves or know some serious self-defense skills-dads give us the tools to be tough when they’re not there.

12. They are completely naïve to pop culture and social media- and it’s hilarious.

If you witness dads on Facebook or dads trying to understand this generations kind of music, it’s hard to hold back a smile. Let’s face it, technology, social media, and pop culture are not dad’s strong suits. But they do gain a good laugh from us and that’s what matters. 

13. No matter what, you will always be their main priority.

Make sure you thank your dads because they do everything they can to make you happy, healthy, and safe. No matter what happens, from the moment you are born you become their best friend- you will always be their priority and they will always love you.

Sources:

http://greatinspire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/A-Fathers-Embrace-520×650.jpg

http://www.popsugar.com/love/photo-gallery/30714547/image/30715320/He-Been-Scaring-Away-Boys-Since-You-Were-Diapers

http://www.popsugar.com/love/Funny-Dad-GIFs-30714547#photo-30714588

http://www.popsugar.com/love/photo-gallery/30714547/image/30714701/He-Up-Cool-Lingo

http://www.popsugar.com/love/photo-gallery/30714547/image/30714720/He-Cooler-Than-You-Thought

Olivia is a Political Science major with a passion for writing. She is from New Jersey but has found a recent love for Boston. In addition, she loves participating in Model UN.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.