10 Tips for Club Auditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

If you’re interested in any sort of performing arts clubs in college, you’ll likely have to go through an audition process for them. Even if you’ve auditioned for things before, auditions can always be especially nerve-wracking. There are plenty of tips you can read online about calming yourself down before an audition and how to do your best, but this article will focus on how to maximize your chances of getting into clubs by really rocking out the whole audition process.

#1 – Sign Up For Everything

Most schools have some sort of activity fair in the beginning of the year. It is CRUCIAL that you attend these. That’s where all the different clubs will have their own table and encourage you to sign up. The key here is to sign up for as many things as you can. It’s super easy to unsubscribe from any club emails if you decide they’re not for you after the fact, but it can be tough to get involved if you’re not on this list because you won’t know when things are happening. Take my advice, and sign up for anything you’re remotely interested in and cut back later.

#2 – Go to As Many Auditions As You Can

For performing arts groups in particular, most clubs will advertise when their audition times are at the activities fair. If not, they’ll likely email everyone who signed up with that information afterwards. Many will try to maximize audition turnout by having long audition hours or even multiple days of auditions. Compare these auditions times with each other and plan an audition schedule so you’re sure to get to everything you want to go to.

#3 – Don’t Be Nervous

Obviously, this one is easier said than done. But it’s worth noting again. Most clubs will be run by other students, upperclassmen who were once in the same position as you. They don’t want to be intimidating or make you nervous! Remember that you’re here to have fun and let that shine through!

#4 – Show Off Your Personality

Stand out. I don’t mean do something crazy, but don’t be afraid to show off your fun personality. It’ll make you instantly more likable and when it comes time to make the final decisions about who they want to accept, they’ll be sure to remember you.

#5 – Make New Friends

There will be lots of other people going through the same audition process as you. Don’t see them as competition; see them as potential friends. Clearly you already have some common interests with them, so use that to your advantage. Ask them about other groups they have or plan on auditioning for and share your own experiences. Make sure to exchange numbers or friend them on Facebook, so you can get in touch with them later on to make plans together!

#6 – Check for Callbacks

This one is kind of obvious, but make sure you check all of the groups to see if they have callbacks, when they are, and how you’ll be notified. If you don’t hear anything, reach out! It’s much better to find out they don’t send rejection emails than to assume that and find out later that you missed your call back because they misspelled your email! Confirm which callbacks you’re invited to and make sure to follow their instructions such as responding if you’re coming or not going to callbacks for similar groups, if they have rules like that.

#7 – If You Don’t Make It, Don’t Be Discouraged

In my experience, most groups try to cap their number somewhere between 15-20. Keep in mind that there are already current members in the group, and you realize that most groups don’t actually have that many spots to fill. Don’t take it personally if you’re not chosen, and don’t be discouraged from doing what you love!

#8 – Look for Spring Auditions

Some groups hold auditions every semester, so you might have an opportunity to re-audition later in the year. Those auditions are likely to attract less people, and you’ll show your dedication by coming back and giving it another shot!

#9 – Look For Open Groups

Not all groups even hold auditions! I auditioned for a show in one club, only to find out later that the same club also held open improv rehearsals free for anyone to join. I started going to those, and it’s honestly more fun than some of the groups I had to audition for! So I highly recommend you ask around for open groups and give them a try.

#10 – Don’t Give Up and Don’t Stop Looking

Finally, the last piece of advice I have for you is to not give up. No matter what the results from you auditions are, please keep trying! Performing arts are all so much fun, and remember that a lot of people are too nervous to even try, so you are super brave for even auditioning. Be proud of yourself for that!

So those are my top ten tips for college club auditions. I hope this is helpful, and I wish anyone who’s reading this article good luck on their next audition! Let us know if any tips were helpful to you or if you have any other suggestions by leaving a comment below!

Rising sophomore at Boston College.