10 Things to Be Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it is important to give thanks for the little things in life.  Sure, life is bound to throw us some curve balls, but even in the worst of times there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.  This “light at the end of the tunnel” can be anything from a great conversation with a friend to having a bowl of your favorite ice cream after a hard day.

It is easy to take things for granted, especially because we are constantly so busy, but regardless of how little time we think we have, it is important to at least think about all of the great things that help get us through the day.

In fact, we might not even realize that these little things make getting out of bed in the morning exciting simply because we rely so heavily on these little things.  After a great deal of thinking about what I am thankful for this Thanksgiving I came up with the following list.

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for….

…My family

Whenever I’m having a bad day, I know that I can always rely on a phone call home to help brighten my mood.  Regardless of whether I talk to my mom who offers her advice, or my sister who offers her snarky commentary, I know that they always have my back and will always support and love me, even when I think the rest of the world is falling apart.

…My friends

Just like my family, I know that I can talk to my friends about anything and that I will not have to face any kind of judgment.  I’m so thankful to have a great group of friends who love and support me for who I am.

…My health

After my great grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer this past year, I realized how quickly life changes.  My great grandma has always kept herself in impeccable shape and has gone above and beyond to ensure she was in good health.  I am so thankful that I am able to wake up each morning and to do whatever my heart desires.

…My education

While it’s easy to take our Boston College education for granted, especially around midterm and final season, it is important to never lose sight of how lucky we are to be here.  I am so thankful that I am able to attend this university and to receive an education that most people would kill to have.

…My coffee maker

Okay, now this is not nearly as important as the previous four, but what can I say?  I’m addicted to coffee and can’t imagine a day without it.  I’m pretty sure I was in a state of panic (okay, that might be an exaggeration) when our coffee machine broke earlier this year.

…The ability to be able to travel

Ever since I can remember, I have always loved going to new places.  This coming January, I will be studying abroad in Rome, and I can’t wait to be able to travel to new places.  I wouldn’t be able to do this without my parent’s support or my health, so I guess technically this falls into the first and third category, but still I’m thankful.

…Warmth

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced being this cold until moving to Boston.  As trivial as it seems, I am so beyond thankful whenever I am truly warm.

…A good night’s sleep

I don’t know about you, but for me, there is nothing better than sleeping in and waking up feeling completely refreshed.  There are very few of these nights, so when they happen I am beyond thrilled.

…The ability to cook

I love having a kitchen this year.  I am so thankful that I am completely in control of my meals and I also love being able to cook for other people.  

…The nights I have good talks with my best friends

The nights where we are all just completely open and talking about everything and anything are some of my favorite nights.  These nights remind me how amazing my friends are and how even though we are all so different, there is something we can all learn from each other.

My list is nowhere near complete and while my list is probably very different from yours, it is important to give thanks for the little things regardless of how busy you are.

Photo Sources

http://www.saifou.com/entry/4047.html

http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/upload/17944098485552143_H99LpiCa.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/542993_411085758903606_159506880728163_1657473_714588

Lauren Ruvo is a sophomore at Boston College who is double majoring is Human Development and Communications. Lauren is originally from Las Vegas and doesn't think she will ever get used to the winters in Boston. Lauren writes for The Heights as well as the Boston College branch of Her Campus. In her free time, Lauren loves shopping, traveling, spending time with friends and family, spin class, and cooking. She is very excited about joining the Her Campus team!
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.