10 Easy Ways to: Prepare for Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Brazil, Morocco, London to Ibiza.  Dance the night away but more importantly STUDY ABROAD so you can visit all these amazing places.  The Office of International Programs (OIP) of Boston College is fantastic and has so many programs to offer.  With this quick list, preparing to study abroad has never been so easy.

1. Attend the study abroad fair/info meetings:

If you’re not quite sure which country or region you want to go to yet, the study abroad fair and the informational meetings OIP has throughout the year are a great starting point.  Usually students who have gone on the program tell you about their experience so you can figure out if it’s a good fit for you.

2. Meet with an advisor:
Once you pick your country, you need to schedule a meeting with a study abroad advisor assigned to your area.  They will help you find the specific program that’s right for you and get you all the information you need for your application.

3. Talk to people who have gone on your program:
Ask around.  Chances are, there are some seniors who have gone on your same program.  They’re a great resource to give you some insider tips about what to buy/pack, etc.  Plus, once you get to your destination, it will be helpful to have a list of all the “must-sees” they give you!

Buy…

4. Travel book of your country
5. Quality walking shoes
6. Luggage

7. Preapprove your courses: 
Once you get accepted to your program, bring the syllabi of the classes you’re thinking of taking to the correct departments to get them preapproved before you leave.  That way when you return on campus, you can just have the professors sign the forms and you don’t’ have to worry about some of the credits not counting towards your core or major.  Good bye, art core!

8. Eat as much of your favorite American food as possible while you still can: 

Buffalo wings, mac n’ cheese, burgers, Oreos, pumpkin pie, pop tarts, Reese’s, Sour Patch watermelon, peanut butter, Jolly Ranchers, cheesecake, Late Night steak and cheese, hot dogs, pepper jack cheese, General Tao chicken, Taco Bell.  Eat it.  All of it.  While you still can.

9. Technology makeover:
Get a Skype, create a blog, and buy a Magic Jack (best purchase ever, forreal).

10. Get/update your passport and visa:
And don’t wait until last minute! This is a process that can take a while.  Make sure you check exactly what you need for your country of study and get it done early!

Au revoir, world travellers. Good luck!

Photo Sources:
http://www.ireab.org/vector-ireab-advisors.jpg
http://iquotewho.com/graphics/girly/lets-shop-till-we-drop.jpg
http://thevreelandclinic.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/junk-food-2.jpg

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.