Ultimate Fall Bucket List (On a Budget!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Fall is finally here! The crisp autumn air blows through the colored trees, carved pumpkins line the sidewalks and the fall Hallmark movies are in full swing. This is a magical time of the year, but it can also be an expensive time of the year. Between the general expenses that come from living away from home and, of course, the occasional Pumpkin Spice Latte, lots of people find themselves on a tight budget by the time fall rolls around. This shouldn’t stop us from having the best fall experience we can get! So, with that in mind, here are ten things to do during the fall that won’t make your bank account hurt. 

1. Watch Fall Movies

Cozying up and watching movies is one of the best ways to get into fall spirit! The Fall Harvest is a movie series put on by the Hallmark Channel featuring all of the incredibly cheesy fall movies that I just can’t seem to get enough of. If you are in more of a spooky mood, all thorugh October, Freeform plays Halloween movie marathons all day, every day. So, cozy up in front of the TV with your favorite tea or coffee and enjoy the fall vibes. 

2. Carve a Pumpkin

Stores all over are selling the most known fall symbol: the pumpkin. You can find pumpkins at stores like Walmart, Sam’s, Home Depot, and HEB for a relatively cheap price. If you don’t want to have to deal with the mess of a real pumpkin, carving fake pumpkins (like the ones found at Michael’s) is a good and fun alternative. 

3. Roast Pumpkin Seeds

Remember the pumpkins you just carved? Don’t throw away the seeds! They make a great and healthy fall snack when roasted. All you have to do is wash them, put them on a baking sheet, season it with your favorite spice (I always opt for cinnamon!), then bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. No matter what spice you choose, this is a fun snack that will make the most of all parts of the pumpkin. This recipe will also make your home smell AMAZING!

4. Go Hiking

Some prefer to hike during the summer, but to me, hiking in the fall is far more magical. The weather is incredible, not too hot but not too cold, and the colored leaves make for picture perfect scenes. Plus, think of all the cute fall hiking outfits! 

5. Make Caramel Apples

Nothing says fall like a classic caramel apple! These are super easy and super fun to make. All you need is an apple, some heavy cream and a bag of caramel melts, which can all be found at your local grocery store. After you get the incredients, simply melt the caramels in a saucepan, add a bit of heavy cream and dip the apples. It is a super simple recipe that you can have fun making with your friends and your favorite fall playlist. 

6. Have a Fall Photo Shoot

Bundle up in your coziest fall sweater, grab a camera and a friend, and go find your favorite autumn spot to take photos. Fall photos are a cute way to spice up your instagram feed for the season, and even if you don’t actually post them, you will have a lot of fun taking them! Just be sure to bring masks and stay socially distant while snapping the pictures! 

7. Have a Makeshift Costume Party

The only rule is to make a costume out of clothes that you already have. This is a funny twist on a real costume party because nobody will have a “real” costume! You’ll really have to get creative with your designs, and maybe there’s a costume contest to judge how well everyone did. Be sure to only invite ten people or less to allow for proper social distancing (because nothing this season is scarier than COVID-19!). A good alternative for more than ten people is to hold a Zoom costume contest where you can take turns presenting your costume, then hold a vote after everyone has gone! 

8. Read a Book

Now, I know what you’re thinking. How will you have time to read between classes, homework, and jobs? The answer is simply to find time, even if it is only for 10 minutes. Reading is good for the mind and cuddling up with your favorite book in the crisp fall weather is a must-do for the season. If you are looking for a classic story that captures the essence of autumn with its gothic literature and twisting stories, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, or Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen are all good stories by some incredible female authors. If you’re in the mood for a scarier story, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving and The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson are both spooky stories to help get in the Halloween spirit. And of course, there is always the Harry Potter series, which is full of wizardry and magic to help it feel more like fall. 

9. Have a Bonfire

S’mores, music, twinkle lights. Enough said.

10. Go to a Haunted House

It isn’t called Spooky Season for nothing! So many great and affordable haunted houses are open during October and even early November, and whether you are making a drive to a nearby city or just finding a local haunt, this is a must for fall. After all, what’s better than getting scared so hard you want to cry?

There are so many things that make fall an amazing time of the year and they don’t all have to break the bank. As long as you have a good attitude and are embracing the spirit of fall, you are sure to have a good time! 

Ali McNew

Baylor '24

Alexandra McNew is a junior Marketing major at Baylor University. She is from the small town of Willis, Texas, which is just north of Houston. When she isn't studying or hanging out with friends, she loves to go to concerts, skateboarding, and playing her guitar. Her career goal is to become a music promoter at a record label and travel the world doing what she loves.