Style > Beauty

My Skincare Routine For Acne-Prone Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Ladies, let’s face it. Skincare is self-care, and when you are too busy to fit in more self-care in the midst of classes, meetings, jobs and getting enough sleep, skincare turns into one of our only moments of “me time”. For my acne-prone skin, it has taken me forever to find what works for my skin and the mind of its own. From cleanser to moisturizer and everything in between, here is my favorite skincare products for my perfectly-imperfect skin.

Day

1. Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Cleansing Pads

Y’all, when I say that these cleansing pads clean, I mean they CLEAN. One side of the pad is smooth and soap-infused that acts gently on skin while the other side has small dots on it to help exfoliate your skin and remove dirt and makeup. It also has salicylic acid to help fight pesky pimples too! 

Cost: $6.37

1. Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Facial Toner

As an added step to your cleansing routine, I love using this toner to remove any dirt or makeup that my cleansing pad didn’t get. It’s very gentle on the skin and it has a lovely subtle scent of rose. I like using it with a soft cotton round and swiping it across my face after washing my skin.

Cost: $10.95

1. Glossier Super Glow Vitamin C Serum

I bought this product recently when traveling to Austin and visiting the Glossier pop up shop and I am already in love with it. I previously tried their Super Clear Niacinamide + Zinc Serum for acne and I used up every last drop of my bottle. In the hopes of trying something new, especially in hopes of helping my dull skin after late nights of studying, I I bought Super Glow and I LOVE IT. It gives your skin a glow from within that shines just as brightly as you do!

Cost: $28.00

1. Rosehip Oil 

I usually buy this at TJMaxx (cause your girl can’t resist a good deal) and when I tell you I have noticed a difference in my post-acne marks with this stuff, I mean it. This stuff hydrates and moisturizes your skin like none other. It helps me with my post-acne marks because it reduces the hyperpigmentation in your skin! 

1. Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer with SPF 30

Even though your skin may be on the oilier side, you must use moisturizer! It’s important to keep your skin hydrated, especially in the colder months when it’s possible for your skin to dry out! I really like this one by Cetaphil because it keeps your oils at bay, and it has SPF which is SUPER important to use everyday!

$18.00

After I complete my morning routine, I continue with my normal makeup routine!

Night

1. Aveeno Clear Cleansing Daily Cleansing Pads

I love this product So MUCH that I use it day and night! It gets in deep and cleans out my pores so well! 

1. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser

At night, I love doing a double cleanse to ensure I removed all makeup and dirt from my face. This cleanser is really gentle so it’s great for sensitive skin! I will use my Clarisonic to clean deep and get into your pores well while reducing the size of them!

$6.16

1. Glossier Solution Exfoliating Skin Perfector

Y’all, I LOVE Glossier!! It has such a great line of skincare that really cleans your skin and improves the look of your skin overtime! This product gently exfoliates your skin and reduces acne, shrinks pores, and removes redness! It also produces a glow from within!

$24.00 

1. Sand + Sky Australian Pink Clay Porefining Face Mask

There is some serious magic in this little pink jar! I love using this mask 2-3 times a week to help refine my pores and clear my skin of post acne marks. I swear by this mask, cause I’m on my 3rd jar (and I usually don’t like a mask that much!)

$39.20

1. Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer

This is a great moisturizer for overnight! I love putting a thick-ish layer on my face and letting my face absorb the moisture as I sleep! It’s one of the pricier items that I use, but it’s because it works!

1. Glossier Balm DotCom Universal Skin Salve

If you couldn’t tell by now, I love Glossier! This stuff is AMAZING!! It’s my absolute favorite product from this brand. I put a thick (more like a thicc) layer on my lips and I wake up with the softest lips ever! It’s also great to put on your cuticles, your elbows, and any patches of skin that some deep moisture!

$12.00

Whatever skin type you have, know that there is a skincare routine out there for you! It may take some time to figure out what best works for your skin, but know that you are beautiful, both inside and out!

Chantal Canales is a senior journalism new media major at Baylor University. She is from McKinney, Texas, just north of Dallas. When she is not editing articles, she loves getting coffee with friends, reading books, discovering new places in Waco, and working at Fabled Bookshop and Cafe. She hopes to work as a book agent for a publishing house or as a magazine editor after her graduation in May 2021.