This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Music moves people. Whether you are sad, happy, grieving, lonely, or feeling any other emotion, there for sure exists a song that resonates with you and your feelings. For this reason, I wanted to share with y’all my all-time favorite songs. Those that I listen to religiously and make my days better.

1. Vienna by Billy Joel

I discovered this song while I was in high school. Oddly enough, I promise it wasn’t as mainstream as it is today. I was in my junior year, stressed and anxious about my grades and my college applications. I was constantly worried I wasn’t going to be happy in the future and I surely was a competitive overthinker. Anyhow, I don’t even remember how I found the song in the first place, and if I’m being completely honest, I think I just found it randomly on Spotify. However, I do remember I was in my room. Crying. But, as soon as I started listening to the lyrics of the song, I swear I thought it was talking about me and my life: “Slow down you crazy child, You’re so ambitious for a juvenile.” Those are the first lines. Crazy, right? In this instance, Vienna gave me hope. It made me take life a little less seriously and take a deep breath of relief thinking that everything was going to be okay at the end of the day. And it still does makes me feel that way.

2. Postcards by James Blunt

This song is simply the definition of my teenage years. My first—and current—boyfriend showed it to me when I was around 14 years old and I thought he was dedicating it to me—he wasn’t, but in my mind he was. Anyhow, my 14-year-old self obviously fell in love with the song: I showed it to all of my friends and they knew it as my song. In this instance, I heard that song every single day, and I’m not kidding. That is mainly the reason why it takes me back to high school. It gives me this bittersweet feeling of how innocent I was back then and the great experiences I had during that time. And Jose, if you are reading this, you better say you did dedicate this song to me!

3. Leader of the Landslide by The Lumineers

Everyone who knows me knows that The Lumineers is my favorite band. If I had to choose one concert to go to, without doubt I would choose them. In this instance, most of their songs are my favorite songs, but for the sake for this article I will only talk about Leader of the Landslide. As I mentioned in the beginning of this article, there are some songs that simply touch you. Normally, I like songs that I can relate my life or feelings to; however, this song has nothing to do with my life. This is why I love it so much. It has nothing to do with me but it still takes me to another universe. I’ve heard this song while crying, laughing, while experiencing anxiety…I have nothing more to say other than that it is a masterpiece, so do yourself a favor and not only listen to it, but also to every single song The Lumineers have released.

4. Trouble by Cage the Elephant

This song makes everything seem okay. The chorus lyrics start by saying “Trouble on my left, trouble on my right, I’ve been facing trouble almost all my life,” which has a deeper meaning for me. Personally, it’s a narrator being honest about life’s adversities, showcasing how new troubles are always going to appear, but you must keep going. Thus, everything you do in life you have to do it for yourself or for love. I heard this song for the first time around three years ago and still appears on my Spotify Wrapped every end of the year. The rhythm is also simply outstanding: it’s a song you merely enjoy listening to.

5. Anxiety by Julia Michaels and Selena Gomez

This song is pretty straightforward; however, each time I listen to it, it gets to me. As I have mentioned in several articles, I’ve had severe anxiety for a few years now. None of my friends or anyone I knew really struggled with anxiety—or at least I didn’t know—so when this song came out, I simply felt understood. Thus, it coming from two empowering and famous women made me feel less alone and more okay. The passion and feeling both of them showcase when singing the song also make it a hundred times better, considering you notice how both of them really resonate with what they are saying, not merely singing it for money. This song got me through horrible nights, and it still does.

At last, these were some of my all-time favorite songs. If you haven’t listened to any of them, do yourself a favor and do so. I love hearing different styles of music and analyzing lyrics, so I deeply enjoyed writing this post and hopefully y’all enjoyed reading it.

Hey there! I am Anabella and I am a psychology major with minors in apparel merchandising and entrepreneurship at Baylor University. I am really passionate about sports, fashion, the human mind, and my Spotify playlist. I really love to create meaningful connections with people and live by kindness!