It’s Women’s History Month- Here’s How You Should Celebrate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Every March, we have the honor of celebrating Women’s History Month, a 30-day commemoration for all the women who fought and continue to fight for their rights. All on social media, we will see inspiring quotes from female Fatales and memorable leaders, reminders of what’s at stake, and how to keep fighting for our freedoms. 

Here are 5 ways to celebrate Women’s History Month all March long.

1. Learn about the history of women’s rights

Before you start celebrating, you should learn more about the history of how women fought for their rights. From your history classes, you may have learned about the Seneca Falls Convention with leaders such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott. During this month, I urge you to research beyond the suffragist movement. Although important, there are more things to celebrate during this month, such as women’s health, the right to attend college, and so much more. 

2. Study the important figures of female history

Rosalind Franklin, Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Billie Jean King, I could go on and on. From the arts and sciences to sports and pop culture, women have ALWAYS been trailblazers and leaders in their field. They deserve the recognition for changing the game and constantly raising the bar for us.  

3. Shop woman-owned, online and in-person

While it’s always important to shop small, this month is the best time to shop locally and online from female-owned businesses. In order for women to prosper, we should always support each other in our endeavors. Some great places to start online include websites like Etsy to search and shop at thousands of businesses. If you are in Waco this semester, consider shopping locally at shops like The Black Daisy Boutique, Fabled Bookshop and Cafe, and other female-owned stores.

4. Read from diverse female authors

The list of female authors grows daily, but this month pick up a book by diverse authors, such as women of color, LGBTQ authors, or non-Christian authors. Some new releases by diverse authors already receiving amazing reviews include What’s Mine and Yours by Naima Coster and Infinite Country by Patricia Engel.

5. Start a conversation with your friends and family

The amazing thing about women’s history is that it can spark a million different conversations. This month, I encourage you to talk with your family and friends about women that inspire them in their personal lives and beyond. Dig deep and discuss issues that women still face today and talk through ways to go about bringing change. Have the hard conversations (if you’re comfortable) and talk with the men in your life about ways the general male population can treat women. Conversations were the start of women’s suffrage and female health, so it’s a fantastic way to celebrate this month. 

This month is all about honoring women of our past so that we continue to empower the next generation of young girls. Therefore, you should go beyond the simple reposting of a Beyonce quote on your Instagram story and truly honor the women before and after your time. 

For more information on Women’s History Month, visit the link here.

Chantal Canales is a senior journalism new media major at Baylor University. She is from McKinney, Texas, just north of Dallas. When she is not editing articles, she loves getting coffee with friends, reading books, discovering new places in Waco, and working at Fabled Bookshop and Cafe. She hopes to work as a book agent for a publishing house or as a magazine editor after her graduation in May 2021.