This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

March 1st marks the beginning of Women’s History Month, a time to celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of women everywhere. For Baylor students, our current Baylor experience has been shaped by many strong, female predecessors who fought for female education and equal opportunities. This article highlights important firsts in Baylor’s History and the women who achieved them.

Mary Gentry Kavanaugh

In 1855, Mary Gentry Kavanaugh became the first woman to earn a Baylor degree. As the daughter of one of Baylor’s original trustees, the university had played a large role in Kavanaugh’s early life, and she graduated from the institution at the young age of 16. Her graduation marks an important milestone in the expansion of educational opportunities for women at Baylor.  

Dr. Harriet “Hallie” Earle

Another important first in Baylor’s history is the graduation of Dr. Harriet Earle from Baylor Medical School in 1907. Eventually, Dr. Earle also went on to become the first licensed female physician in Waco, building her private practice around women’s health. These firsts remain especially relevant as the medical field continues to be male dominated today.

Emeline Abood Jackson

In 1926, Emeline Abood Jackson became the first woman to graduate from Baylor’s Law School. Jackson was the granddaughter of Syrian immigrants, and, during World War II, she worked with foreign governments to provide US refuge for displaced populations. An advocate for women’s education, Jackson’s accomplishments remain important in the lineage of Baylor women in law.  

Vivienne Malone-Mayes

Vivienne Malone-Mayes became Baylor’s first Black professor in 1966, marking an important first for future Baylor women and students of color. After graduating from Waco’s A.J. Moore High School at the age of 16, Malone-Mayes studied medicine and mathematics at Frisk University in Nashville, earning both her bachelors and master’s degrees. When pursuing a Ph.D. in mathematics, she was rejected from Baylor’s doctoral program, but after the university became racially integrated, she was hired as the first Black professor. This first remains important to both women’s history and Baylor’s history in general.

Barbara Walker

Shortly following the employment of Baylor’s first Black professor, Barbara Walker became the first Black woman to graduate from Baylor in 1967. Although she initially came to Waco to study math at Paul Quinn College, she transferred to Baylor after the university became integrated and eventually changed her major to social work. After receiving her master’s degree, Walker worked as a licensed clinical social worker for 32 years and led mental health programs though California’s Department of Mental Health. Since then, Walker has returned to campus several times to share her Baylor story, inspiring current students with her courage and success.

Establishment of Gamma Alpha Omega

This final first was achieved not by one woman, but by eight female students who founded Waco’s first Latina sorority in 2000. According to the group’s website, Bryanna Cobb, Bianca Fernandez, Binish Karimi, Sacha Duchicela, Tazim Merchant, Julie Ortiz, Brigette Brennan, and Angie Alvarado founded Baylor’s Chapter of Gamma Alpha Omega (GAO) after noticing a lack of representation on Baylor campus. As Baylor still struggles with issues of diversity, this first is a great reminder of the power of like-minded women.

Although this is not a comprehensive list, these women represent some of the important firsts in Baylor’s history, giving us a starting point for this month’s celebration! As you continue to learn about the accomplishments and contributions of women everywhere, keep these inspiring Baylor women in mind!

I am a senior Professional Writing and Rhetoric major with minors in English and Women's and Gender Studies. I'm passionate about women's issues, sustainability, and equality.