Here’s How to Bring Up Your Grades When You’ve Fallen Behind in Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

There are two weeks left in class. You’ve been pretty heavily slacking off (it’s all online… what do they expect?). Maybe you forgot to submit a couple of assignments, or maybe you haven’t been studying. Either way, your grade has suffered. Where do you go from there? Is it even possible to bring that C+ up to an A? 

Most universities have made the move to online, or partially online, classes this year due to the threat of the Coronavirus. May students are struggling to juggle online, hybrid, and face-to-face classes, and they have fallen behind in one or more. If this is you, don’t worry, there is still some time to correct the problem and get the grade you need! 

First, you need to really assess the damage. Take a deep breath, open your laptop, and check those canvas grades. For each class, evaluate how you’ve done, how your study habits have been, and if you could change anything. This is important to figure out where you misstepped. Next, you need to make a plan of action. How will you do better moving forward?

Start by making note of any and all assignments you have for EVERY class. Once you’ve included all the due dates, it’s time to schedule out time to complete them. I recommend creating a master excel sheet color-coded by class and due date. Then, you can basically plan out your week accordingly. The key here is to be 100% honest and hold yourself accountable for your workload and studying. For example, if you have a test coming up and schedule yourself to study for three hours, you should be saying “no” to going out with friends. Don’t forget to NOT overload yourself, also. Try doing the Pomodoro Method for more effective studying, it is easy and soo helpful! 

Once you have made your schedule and changed any bad habits (not enough sleep, not studying, skipping assignments, etc.) you should set up a meeting with your professor. In your meeting, you should approach them with sincerity, honesty, and humility. Ask for advice on how you can do better in their class moving forward. Is there an extra credit option? Would they take late work? Can they go over the material with you again or send helpful resources? It can be so beneficial to ask for help in situations like this. Your teacher knows the material best (duh) and they want to succeed, so enlist their help when you can! 

Ultimately, boosting that grade is not going to be easy, but if you really reflect on what you messed up, it can be easier to make your plan to correct it. You just need to power through the remainder of this semester and stick to your plan, and I promise you will boost your grade! 

Jacobi Reynolds is a photographer and senior Pre-medical Biology student at Baylor University. She is from Henrietta, Texas, just south of the Oklahoma and Texas border. When she is not studying or taking photos, she enjoys exploring new places, painting, and spending time with friends and family. Her favorite things are the color pink, dogs, pizza and going to the movies.