Halloween Special: Netflix Movie Recommendations to Spice Up Your Halloween!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

It’s without doubt that Halloween is one of the most anticipated celebrations of the year — especially in the United States. To put everything into perspective, several websites — such as the PR Newswire and the Harris Poll — have recorded that Halloween ranked third overall on the nation’s most preferred holiday. To be able to experience the joy of trick-or-treating, the fear of touring a haunted house and the pleasure of dressing up in themed-costumes: how could anyone not get excited at the thought of Halloween?

Unfortunately, COVID-19 has yet to disappear. As we approach the week of Halloween, we certainly can expect certain limitations on the types of Halloween-esque activities to be enjoyed on October 31st. What will that mean for the Halloween fanatics and horror maniacs? 

Don’t worry! There are plenty of socially-distanced solutions this Halloween. I advise starting a Halloween-inspired Netflix movie marathon. Netflix provides some decent movies catered to everyone’s preference and at the same time, you’d still be able to abide by the social-distancing rules and avoid direct exposure to COVID! With that, here is a short list of movies to watch that’ll give you the vibe of Halloween:

1. The Addams Family (1991)

The Addams Family (1991) is undoubtedly a classic all-time favorite among both males and females — regardless of one’s age. Consisting of many people’s favorite gothic but quirky and affluent family, the movie describes the odd yet loving bond shared by the Gomez family as they fight external forces wishing to steal their wealth. If you’re looking for a chill yet entertaining film, check out The Addams Family (1991)! You can definitely watch this with people of all ages due to the lack of terrifying factors, and your Halloween would still be great and enjoyable! (For a bonus feature, whip up some hot chocolate for yourself or to share with others since this movie will also warm up your heart on Hallow’s Eve.). 

2. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018) 

Do you prefer live-adaptations of some of your childhood horror fictions? Give Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018) a try! The film takes you to the tale of two young boys who had accidentally summoned the creatures from an unpublished book from the Goosebumps franchise — and, of course, all of this happens on the night of Halloween. Although arguably the most childish out of the recommended movies, I definitely hope that you’ll give this a try because this is a good movie to have if you’re just in the mood to feel as if you’re outside and truly experiencing what Halloween has to offer. (Or if you decide to invite one or two friends over — remember to follow the social-distancing rules — you can have this movie playing in the background to set the perfect Halloween mood!). 

3. The Babysitter (2017)

What would you think if your beautiful and kind babysitter ends up being involved in some dark activities — perhaps a satanic cult? The Babysitter (2017) is the answer to your whimsical pondering (if you’re ever curious in the first place). The film revolves around a young child and his babysitter’s night together, following the boy’s parent’s vacation at a hotel. Beginning with a fun and friendly relationship, the movie takes a sharp turn as the boy figures out what his babysitter and friends seem to be involved with after he is put to bed. If you’re searching for a more recent comedy-horror film to lighten up your Halloween (and not risk getting nightmares instead), check out The Babysitter

4. Eli (2019) 

Eli (2019) was a “hot” movie following its release on Netflix — staying on numerous individual’s Netflix recommendations page for a long period of time — and there is a good enough reason to back up such claims. The story revolves around a young boy named Eli, who is unable to leave his house due to an allergic reaction he receives from going outside. Unbeknownst to Eli, the origin of his illness traces back to his blood-relation with a supernatural force. Who would imagine that a young boy may have connections to Satan itself? If you’re interested in a darker film related to demonic forces — unlike the more chill tone of The Babysitter (2017) — go watch Eli (2019)! 

5. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

Witches, witches, witches… Unlike the past, witches are definitely a favorite among people of all gender, age, and background nowadays — especially on Halloween. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) integrates the concept of witches and curses by alluding to the sorrowful witch trials of Salem in a modern-setting. If witches are your cup of tea, this movie is a go-to for this Halloween! (But beware, this movie consists of light jump scare, graphic depiction and open-ended conclusion — a couple of steps above the aforementioned films in terms of its horror elements.)

Halloween is one of the most incredible holidays to celebrate and we shouldn’t let a pandemic prevent us from completely enjoying this jovial and exciting day! Our health is definitely important and we should try our best to avoid getting sick, but we should also learn to cope with the situation — even if it’s through the small things in life. Although a netflix session might seem rather plain, you’ll never know how thrilling a netflix session might be during a Halloween if you’ve never tried out. Likewise, if you can’t have your family, friends, or partner with you, just do an online streaming session together. Trust me: if you set the right mood and tone and have everything arranged, a Halloween Netflix session is one of the best experiences out there. 

Indira Callista is a sophomore currently majoring in Biochemistry on the Pre-Med track at Baylor University. Prior to her move to Texas, Indira had initially lived in Jakarta (Indonesia), her hometown, and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). Possessing both the qualities of an introvert and extrovert, Indira's interests can vary from constantly wanting to go shopping and travelling with her beloved ones to constantly taking 3-4 hour nap minimum while listening to music from various genre. Following the start of her sophomore year, Indira wanted to be more involved in other things outside of her major's field/concentration, which led her to join Her Campus. With Her Campus, Indira intends to continue her pursuit and advocacy of female empowerment through her writing. Outside of Her Campus, Indira is currently involved in clubs/organizations such as BMSA and FSA.