Career

Good Paying Jobs for College Students to Explore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Most students may think that they don’t have enough time in the day to work a part-time job. But nevertheless, students still find ways around this issue. I also used to think this way, until I started Door Dashing. 

You may have heard of the DoorDash app where you can order food from any restaurant and someone will bring your order to your residence. There’s another app called Dasher where you can sign up and start earning money instantly by picking up and dropping off food orders. I really enjoy using the app. It’s simple and innovative. All you have to do is put in your basic information like your driver’s license, car information, and banking account to receive the payments. Then you can start dashing. The app allows you to pick times that best work for you. You can schedule your day out or dash at any time. There are two options for receiving your payments. You can do fast pay which instantly transfers the money you earn into your bank account (with a fee charge) or you can wait and the money will be deposited into your account every week depending on how many orders you do that particular week. There are also peak pay times which means that during certain hours of the day, you can earn an extra dollar or two more per order. I like how flexible it allows me to be while also making some pretty good money. 

There’s plenty of jobs out on the market that can cater to college students’ abilities. One of them includes being a virtual assistant. According to thebalancecareers.com, virtual assistants “typically work from home, performing tasks that an administrative assistant or secretary would normally do.” This means anyone is fit for the job and can do it from anywhere in the world. You can generally set your own hours which makes it a great job for a busy college student. They typically make about $15-18 depending on how much they work and who they are working for. You technically don’t need a bachelor’s degree to do this job; all you need to do is complete an online training course and receive the certification before moving forward to applying. I think this is a great job for college students because it’s virtual and remote. It requires communication skills which most students have. It also requires someone to be technologically savvy which is a characteristic of our generation. It seems like a simple job that doesn’t require intense attention unlike being a server or retail worker. 

The final job for college students that I find to be most helpful is becoming a tutor. Tutors have the most flexibility among these three jobs because they can tell their clients what times they’re available. It’s also most likely the best paying because they can set their payment threshold as well. You also get to use the skills and knowledge you’ve acquired from your previous years of education. This can help you remember some things you may have forgotten. It’s also a great resume addition. Showing future graduate/professional schools or recruiters that you tutored other students conveys to them that you work well with others, you have communication skills, and you’re able to lead/guide others. You’re not only facilitating your own success but you’re helping others become successful as well. This is rewarding in itself. 

Whatever job you’re interested in, I’m sure there’s 10 others to go along with it. Hopefully this article helps start your job-seeking journey. 

Mercedes is a senior, Sociology major at Baylor University. Mercedes is from Oceanside, California, a little bit north of San Diego. Her interests are playing with makeup, trying new restaurants, and driving around blasting music. Her career goals include going to law school to become a family or immigration lawyer or opening a homelessness recovery center.