Style > Beauty

Drugstore Cosmetics That Never Let Me Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

I know everyone is always recommending drugstore makeup products, but here’s why you’re gonna wanna read my list too. Not only are these my favorite nails, lashes, and skincare products that I can’t live without, they are also great quality for the price. Believe me, I was so surprised to find something inexpensive that worked just as well as the high-end products I love from Ulta and Sephora. I’m not just buying them because I’m a poor college kid, but because they work wonders, and you need to get them too. 

1. Cerave Face Moisturizing Lotion 

This lotion has saved my skin. I used to spend $30 to $50 on falsely advertised lotions from beauty stores. This Cerave face lotion with spf 30 is not only affordable ($14 for a 3 oz bottle) but is also moisturizing enough for my combination skin while not causing me break out like a lot of products do. 

1. Cetaphil Gentle Waterproof Makeup Remover

I mean. . . the name says it all. But, trust me when I say that one swipe of this stuff removes my mascara and cleanses me of my sins. It’s great because it is oil-free (for my acne-prone sisters) and non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog your pores!

1. Panoxyl 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash

This face wash is great for those who struggle with acne (me) and for those who get those pesky little bumps on their face (also me). I have been using this face wash for almost 7 years now and I always recommend it to people with similar skin as mine, combination and acne-prone. I will say that it can be very drying because of the peroxide, however, when paired with the Cerave lotion above, my skin stays very hydrated. 

1. Clear Glue-On Nails 

Any brand of these will work. I use them whenever I want an acrylic manicure but am on a budget. These glue-on nails look just as good and are roughly $40 dollars cheaper than getting your nails done. I use them by buying the clear or nail colored fake nails, then I glue them on and paint/shape them myself. No trips to the nail salon, no UV light required, no more dropping $70 dollars on some acrylics. 

1. Faux Mink False Eyelashes

The band on these is both flexible and doesn’t irritate my eye like most falsies do. These eyelashes have a great shape and always make me look like I have lash extensions. Something that I like to do with my falsies is cut them into a half-lash and only put them on the end furthest from my nose. I love this look because it makes me feel like I have little wings on the ends of my eyes. Overall, these falsies give me more length and definition. 

I know how frustrating it can be to find products that work for you. With that being said, it is my hope that these affordable products are helpful to anyone looking to try new things. I also understand how hard it can be to find skincare products that will not irritate your skin. These basics I have recommended are very light on my skin and don’t make me feel like my skin is suffocating. Whether you like some of these and stick with them or use them as jumping points to new products is up to you! At the end of the day, skincare looks different for everyone, so do what works best for you and feel good about it.

Taylor Bauer

Baylor '22

Taylor Bauer, born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts. Taylor is a senior Biology/Pre-Pharmacy major, working towards her Spanish Medical Certificate. Along with being on Her Campus' event planning and editorial teams, she is a member of The American Medical Women's Association at Baylor and Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society.