5 TV Shows That Have Changed the Way I View Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

I’ve always loved a good coming-of-age show. Those that give you chills and make you feel renewed once you finish them. For this reason, I spend a generous amount of time searching for shows that will spark some type of inspiration inside of me. Here are five TV shows that have truly changed the way I view life.

1. “The Bold Type”

“The Bold Type” shows the lives of three millennial women who work at a famous magazine in New York City. It explores their friendships, career journeys, love stories and so much more. It was truly amazing to watch this show, considering it talks about relevant topics such as inclusion, feminism, politics, fashion, sex, rape, breast cancer and so many others while also keeping the storyline relatable and lighthearted. I discovered that after watching this show, I gained a new sense of what true friendship is. I found myself inspired by the motivating stories each character had. For example, Jane, one of the main characters, is a journalist. She tackles topics that people are afraid to talk about and manages to find a way to normalize them while always staying true to herself. This show even inspired me to pursue a minor in journalism, and overall, it’s an excellent TV show that has so much depth hidden inside of it.

Favorite Quote: “We should be taking in every experience. We should be living our lives, taking risks and, you know, putting ourselves out there.” – Jane Sloan

2. “This Is Us”

I’ve never cried as much as I did when I watched “This Is Us.” It explores the overall theme of love, but it isn’t solely focused on romantic relationships – it’s also showcased in family, friends and jobs. The story is narrated with two timelines: the present day and flashbacks, which ultimately makes it very original. You truly fall in love with every character, considering each one has their own personal charm and inspiring storyline. In addition, it made me appreciate the little things more; I got chills each time an episode ended. The attention to detail is frankly outstanding, and it also has a top-notch soundtrack you can cry your heart out to while watching. It truly sparked a sense of empathy and authenticity inside of me that I’d never felt before, and I think this occurred because “This Is Us” isn’t afraid to show that life isn’t perfect. It accepts that people have flaws in a realistic and relatable way. Ultimately, if you value genuine relationships and like to remind yourself of your purpose in life, “This Is Us” is a perfect watch for you.

Favorite Quote: “We go through this life slowly but surely, just collecting these little pieces of ourselves that we can’t really live without until, eventually, we have enough of them to where we feel whole.” – Kevin Pearson

3. “How I Met Your Mother”

This show was one of the first shows I watched that truly impacted me and genuinely changed my life. If you haven’t heard of this show, many people compare it to “Friends.” However, in my opinion, while both shows are amazing and have their own distinctive qualities, “How I Met Your Mother” manages to tell its story and portray the characters’ shenanigans in such a unique way. It’s for sure a rollercoaster experience, with Ted’s love story being the main focus. However, the side characters that accompany him in his journey are phenomenal. I laughed and cried my eyes out while watching this show, and even though I’ve watched it a couple of times, the feeling of warmth it gives me never goes away. If you are one to love controversial endings, the ending of “How I Met Your Mother” will for sure leave room for debate.

Favorite Quote: “You can ask the universe for signs all you want, but ultimately, we’ll only see what we want to see… when we’re ready to see it.” – Ted Mosby

4. “Jane the Virgin”

If you’re into drama, this is the perfect show for you. “Jane the Virgin” is the most unique show I’ve ever watched, and I say that truthfully. I’m Latin American, and the fact that the characters are bilingual, and that a grand part of the show focuses on Venezuelan culture was truly mesmerizing for me. Apart from my personal emotions regarding where I come from and its relation to the show, “Jane the Virgin” is authentically showstopping. It follows Jane, a young aspiring writer that becomes artificially inseminated by mistake. It’s an American way of showcasing a Latin telenovela in a somewhat realistic way. It has many twists and turns, and I can promise you that each time a new season starts, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. What you expect will never happen, but at the end of the day, for Jane, destiny is accountable for everything. Thus, “Jane the Virgin” really captures the essence of what family is truly meant to be like, showcasing that good ultimately always wins over evil and that family doesn’t only mean blood. It’s safe to say I finished this show in a month!

Favorite Quote: “Life is full of tough moments; you have to fight for what you want.” – Jane Villanueva

5. “Anne with an E”

Never in a million years would I have thought I’d watch a show like “Anne with an E,” but, well, I did, and it changed my life. It takes place at the end of the 1800s and explores the life of young Anne, a girl with an envious imagination and an astonishingly kind heart. This show is lighthearted, full of beautiful scenery and packed with incredible dialogue. After I finished it, I was left with a feeling of fulfillment that I can’t really explain with words. It taught me that kindness truly is everything and that no matter how you look, where you come from, or where you want to go, you are always worthy of love and acceptance. Beauty isn’t just about appearance. It’s also about what you believe in and who and what you choose to fight for, and this shows showcases that magnificently.

Favorite Quote: “It is not what the world holds for you, it is what you bring to it.” – Anne Shirley

Ultimately, these five shows are extremely worth a watch. They taught me many new life lessons that I now apply to my day-to-day life. They talk about topics that I feel should be more normalized, so it’s safe to say that all these shows showcase relevant lessons not only for college students, but for everyone.

Hey there! I am Anabella and I am a psychology major with minors in apparel merchandising and entrepreneurship at Baylor University. I am really passionate about sports, fashion, the human mind, and my Spotify playlist. I really love to create meaningful connections with people and live by kindness!