This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

I used to dislike carrying around a bag, that is until I was gifted a canvas tote. Now I never forget to take my tote with me when I leave to run errands. My friends joke that my bag is like a black hole, but I always have what I need in there. I noticed that there are a few staple items that I find myself repeatedly taking out of my bag to use. I want to share this list of special items in hopes that it helps others fill their bags with small trinkets too.

1. Vaseline Tin

The one item that I have multiple of is my Vaseline lip balm tin. I keep one in my purse, one in my backpack, and one in my car. This lip balm is essential, especially for those like me who always need chapstick. Not only is this lip tin small and sleek enough for it to fit in any purse, it also seems to never run out no matter how much I use.

2. Amber Fragrance Oil

This small roll on amber fragrance oil is one of the best scents I’ve ever used. It is light enough to not be overbearing and comes through just the right amount. Whether you purchase this same oil, or another fragrance, I always recommend having some type of perfume scent in your bag for any touch ups throughout the day.

3. Gum

Any type of gum will do, but I always have some kind of gum or candy on me. You never know when you’ll need to freshen up your breath especially nowadays with mask breath. I recommend keeping some form of mint gum/candy in your purse for these types of situations, or if you just have a sweet tooth you can always keep some smaller snacks in there.

4. Hair Ties/Hair Clips  

I cannot tell you how many times somebody has asked me for a hair tie or something to use to get the hair out of their face. This is why I carry around a hair clip and a couple of hair ties in my tote now. By doing so, I never have to worry about not being able to put my hair up. 

5. Extra Masks

I know that we used to not have to worry about this one but nowadays it is so easy to forget to grab a mask on your way out the door. I always keep a bag of disposable masks in my tote just for this reason, and I know my friends are forgetful as well. I just happen to have gotten a small bag from the Target dollar section that is specifically made for masks, but any Ziploc bag will do just fine.

I used to think carrying around a purse was useless but I have learned to embrace it. I love being prepared, not only for myself but for friends and family as well. So whether you use a tote like me, or any other type of purse, I recommend filling it with items you know you’ll always need, and maybe some from my list too!

Taylor Bauer

Baylor '22

Taylor Bauer, born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts. Taylor is a senior Biology/Pre-Pharmacy major, working towards her Spanish Medical Certificate. Along with being on Her Campus' event planning and editorial teams, she is a member of The American Medical Women's Association at Baylor and Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society.