5 Ideas For Your Fall Break Adventure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

Fall Break is upon us, my Baylor friends. It’s time for road trips, adventure and memories. For those of you who don’t know, Fall Break is a three-day weekend that falls on October 25th through the 27th.

Many people take this opportunity to take a small trip with friends around Texas and get away from campus, but people have no idea where to go, especially when rolling on a budget. 

Here are 5 ideas for you and your friends to do for Fall Break!

Dallas, Texas

Ah, Dallas, my hometown. There is so much to do in Downtown Dallas, which is a quick hour and a half drive up I-35 North, from the World Aquarium and the AMAZING Farmer’s Market. The Reunion Tower offers an incomparable view of the Downtown skyline and city life and the Arboretum gives you a more scenic and natural view of the Big D. A personal favorite stop of mine is Klyde Warren Park, a public park built on top of the Woodall Rodgers Freeway. They have a wide variety of food trucks, games, and plenty of green space despite being in the middle of the city. They always have something going on, whether it’s a free concert, yoga class, or dance lessons!

Austin, Texas

The capital of Texas is home to many amazing things that make Texas (in my humble opinion) one of the best places to live. From the amazing nightlife, hunger-craving tacos and barbeque, and the downtown shops and activities. I personally am taking the short hour and a half drive with some friends this Fall Break for the first time. I definitely want to hit some of my Austin Bucket-list items, including taking a picture at the iconic “I love you so much” mural, eating to my heart’s content at Franklin Barbecue and listening to live music Downtown.

San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio, home of the Alamo, the iconic Riverwalk, and the best Tex-Mex food ever, is a great spot for your Fall Break with friends. My family frequently drives down to San Antonio, not only to visit family, but to visit the incredible Downtown atmosphere. My favorite thing to do is go down the Riverwalk, whether taking the narrated boat tour around the San Antonio River and learning about the history of the city, or walking around its cobblestone pathways and finding a great place to eat. Literally every restaurant on the Riverwalk is amazing, but be sure to go to one with Tex-Mex food. Make sure to swing by the Alamo and take a picture of the famous landmark!

Houston, Texas

NASA, museums, and parks galore, Houston has much to offer once you make the three hour drive down. If you are from Baylor, chances are have a large number of friends that are from “H-town” and proud of that fact, and for good reason. I would definitely recommend going to NASA and exploring that for the afternoon. One really cool thing to in Houston is to venture to the variety of museums in the downtown vicinity. They have everything from the arts, sciences,and history. They even have some really interesting museums and exhibits that stand out, such as the Art Car Museum and the Death by Natural Causes exhibit at the Museum of Natural Science.

Waco, Texas

Instead of driving a hundred miles this Fall Break, why not make it a staycation with friends here in Waco? Explore all the things Downtown has to offer, from Fabled Bookshop & Cafe, Spice Village, and the famous Magnolia Silos. Venture into Cameron Park and hike with some friends and have a picnic! Explore the Cameron Park Zoo and go kayaking along the Brazos River!

Whether you stay close or venture off to a big city, have a fun and safe time during your Fall Break!

Chantal Canales is a senior journalism new media major at Baylor University. She is from McKinney, Texas, just north of Dallas. When she is not editing articles, she loves getting coffee with friends, reading books, discovering new places in Waco, and working at Fabled Bookshop and Cafe. She hopes to work as a book agent for a publishing house or as a magazine editor after her graduation in May 2021.