12 Things That Prove That 2019 Was A Good Year For Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

2019. What a year. As per usual, the year flew by like the speed of light, and I for one, as per usual, can’t believe it. Looking back on these 365 days, women rose in the headlines and the news and gave us some of the best the year had to offer. So much happened in these last 12 months, so let’s do a quick recap of all the news, drama, achievements and milestones that 2019 gave us from our fellow women.

The 116th Congress was the most diverse in gender and race

411 women and people of color were elected to the Senate, Congress, and state positions, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Illhan Omar of Minnesota, Rashida Tliab of Michigan, and Sharice Davids of Kansas. This class of congressmen and women took over the news as they stepped into office, and they continue to shake headlines today.

Sandra Oh and Regina King at The Golden Globes

This year’s Golden Globes had so many iconic moments, but two that stood out to me was both Sandra Oh’s acceptance speech for Best Actress in a Drama TV Series for her role in Killing Eve, and Regina King’s acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Motion Picture for her role in If Beal Street Could Talk.

Sandra Oh’s acceptance speech captured the hearts of watchers of the program as she was so excited for her win. She took the time to thank her parents in Korean and viewers LOVED IT. 

During her speech, Regina King vowed that her next projects were going to be employed by 50 percent women on staff. 

Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

Back in March, Brie Larson filled the role of Captain Marvel and the world loved it. In the box office, the movie made 1.128 billion and the beloved character already has a sequel lined up for the future. 

Captain Marvel 2 is not alone in the female-solo movies Marvel will produce. Later in 2020, Black Widow will get a solo movie and the trailer has already generated lots of buzz.

THAT moment towards the finale of Avengers Endgame

You know what I am talking about. That iconic scene during the battle against Thanos where all of the female superheroes come together in that majestic group shot. It just proves that females are getting their moment in male-dominated industries and I am here for it. 

Greta Thunberg speaking at the UN about climate change

16-year-old Swedish climate change advocate Greta Thunberg spoke at the UN Climate Action Summit in September 2019 about the lack of action from our world leaders on the issue of environmental change throughout our world. Check out the emotional speech here.

This past year she was also nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize back in October of this year but lost to Abiy Ahmed. Nevertheless, she is inspiring people around the world with her courage to stand up for what she believes in against so much opposition from people in power.

National US Women’s Team Wins the Women’s World Cup and Fights for Equal Pay

The beloved United States Women’s soccer team won the Women’s World Cup for the first time since 1999 in France. Favorited players such as Megan Rapinoe, Carli Lloyd and Kelly O’Hara took the field against the Netherlands and won 2-0 back in July.

Through this victory, the team is working towards equal pay for female athletes with a lawsuit against the US Soccer Federation.

NASA Completes First All-Female Spacewalk

Back in October, NASA celebrated a milestone for women, as they conducted the first all-female spacewalk at the International Space Station. Although not planned, it was bound to happen according to Christina Koch, one of the female astronauts on this spacewalk due to the increasing number of female astronauts.

A record number of black women graduated from West Point

This just screams female empowerment to me. Back in May, a record number of 34 African-American women graduated from the prestigious military academy West Point. The photo went viral on social media and took the Internet by storm. This year the academy graduated its 5000th woman as well.

“I want women to be soldiers,” says Cadet Welch-Baker. “I want these little black girls to say ‘hey, I can do it too. I have the strength to defy the odds.’ Which is what we did. We defied the odds.”

Lady Gaga’s First Oscar Win

At the 91st Academy Awards, Lady Gaga won her first Oscar for her Best Original Song, Shallow, as seen in the movie A Star Is Born. Her moving speech captured our hearts along with the live performance at the ceremony with Gaga and fellow costar Bradley Cooper. 

“I worked hard for a long time and it’s not about winning, but what’s about is not giving up,” Lady Gaga said in her acceptance speech. “If you have a dream, fight for it.”

Lizzo Drops Album

It may be hard to believe it was so long ago, but Lizzo dropped her album Cuz I Love You back in April of this year. Included songs like “Truth Hurts” and “Like a Girl” have changed my life for the better and give me serious women empowerment vibes.

Female-Owned Businesses hit values of $1 billion

Popular Glossier makeup and skincare brand owned by Emily Weiss and fashion company Rent the Runway owned by Jennifer Hymen and Jennifer Fleiss hit a grand milestone for their businesses. Both female-led companies hit a value of at least $1 billion, with Glossier hitting $1.2 billion and Rent the Runway hitting $1 billion. 

Talk about a group of girl bosses!

#MeToo Movement Hits The Big Screen with Bombshell

Years after the launch of the #MeToo movement, this cultural phenomenon is coming to our movie theatres. In December 2019, Bombshell is set to hit theaters. Actresses Charlize Theron, Margot Robbie and Nicole Kidman act in the movie about the Fox News scandal of sexual harassment against CEO Roger Ailes, playing Megyn Kelly, Kayla Pospisil, and Gretchen Carlson respectively.

2019 was filled with so many powerful moments for women, and I am looking forward to even more progress into this coming year and decade with 2020. 

“Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong, it’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.”  G.D. Anderson

Chantal Canales is a senior journalism new media major at Baylor University. She is from McKinney, Texas, just north of Dallas. When she is not editing articles, she loves getting coffee with friends, reading books, discovering new places in Waco, and working at Fabled Bookshop and Cafe. She hopes to work as a book agent for a publishing house or as a magazine editor after her graduation in May 2021.