jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

As is the case with many women who use dating apps, I’ve experienced my fair share of gross interactions. Whether it’s a guy who immediately offers to send me a picture of his junk, some horrific pickup line, or a threat to stalk me (and I don’t mean that in a joking way) (side note: stalking is never something to joke about), interactions on Tinder/Bumble/insert other dating app here can be nasty.

As such, I’ve compiled a list of best practices for responding to these things.

1. Don’t. Simply don’t respond. And if you’re so inclined, unmatch with the person so you don’t have to deal with them again.
  2. Reply with a snarky comment. I’m sure most people have seen those lists of responses by women who are fed up with harassment online, so take a cue from them and make sure the person on the other end understands you have no interest in being treated poorly. 
  3. Hit them back with an emoji to tell them how you really feel. Some good choices include the following: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, and, of course, the classic “middle finger up.”
  4. Use a fun gif to spice things up. This is especially effective if the other person had started with a gif. Might as well keep the rhythm going, right? Good luck!
Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.