Top 5 Games for Cold March Nights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

As spring gets closer and the weather gets worse, leaving your dorm room on a Friday or Saturday night may seem impossible. Rather than putting on a skimpy top and running around on the cold streets of Lewiston, stay in, crack open some brews, and play some board games! It’s actually a lot of fun, so here are my top 5 favorite board games.

1.) Scrabble

Remember all those SAT vocab words you learned but never actually used in college? Now’s their chance. Scrabble is a fun way to show off your brains and also a great way to make your friends feel stupid. If you’re looking to spice up your night with some friendly competition, scrabble is the move.

2.) Clue

Who doesn’t love a classic whodunit? If you’re capable of finding someone on social media when you only know their first name and eye color, Clue is the perfect game for you.

3.) Life

Do you ever dream of living out a reality different from the one you are currently apart of? Maybe instead of going to Bates, you become a TV star and have four kids all packed in the back of your tiny, blue car. Maybe one day you hit the lottery, and the next day you’re bankrupt. Who knows?

4.) Uno

There’s no better to test friendships than by seeing who’s willing to use the draw 4 wild card on you. Are you mad that your friend did better on you on your last Physics exam? Skip their ass. Uno is the perfect way to inject some competition into your weekend.

5.) Settlers of Catan

The most complicated of the games on this list, Settlers of Catan is really fun once you learn the rules. What industry will you dominate? Sheep? Ore? The choice is yours. Maybe you’re in it to get the longest road? The choice is yours. Settle away!

Next time you’re stuck inside on the weekend looking for something fun to do, try playing a board or card game. It’s the perfect way to get nostalgic about the good ol’ days and have a good time, too.

Image courtesy of The Spruce.

Sophie Warren is senior at Bates College majoring in biology and history. She's from Massachusetts but was born in Wisconsin, so cheese is a really important part of her life. Her interests include dogs, tacos, and chillin.
Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.