Things To Do On The Weekend That Aren’t Partying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

I love the weekends; they’re a break from the hectic school week, something I find myself craving a lot during the month of March. Often, my friends and I will go out to a party or two on Friday and/or Saturday night(s), where we’ll hang out for a while and usually dance together. It’s a lot of fun most of the time and a great stress-reliever. Sometimes, though, I don’t want to go out. Whether it’s because parties can have too much stimulation and that’s not what I want that night or I’m too tired or it’s too cold outside, there are some nights that I don’t feel like going to a party. Sometimes, I feel like this pup:

I’ve accumulated a number of alternative activities for those more relaxed nights that can still be fun, but in a different way.

1. Have a game night. I’ll invite a bunch of friends over and we’ll play some games- Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity, Uno, anything goes! For more suggestions, check out this article by another Her Campus Bates writer!
  2. Spa night. Put on some soothing music, get out a face mask and nail polish, and have a chill night in, either with a friend or by yourself. Settle in with a good book and a fuzzy blanket and, if you’re of age and into it, pour yourself a glass of wine.
  3. Go to bed early. As a college student, I don’t get as much sleep as is recommended for my health. It’s never a bad idea to catch up on some snoozing when you can.
  4. Have your own dance party. You get to pick your own music, and you don’t need to feel self-conscious about anyone else watching and judging you.
  5. Have a movie night. Pop some popcorn, get some friends together, find a common room if there’s one free, wear your coziest PJ’s or lounge clothes, and watch a movie. It’s a classic go-to for me and my friends.
  6. Bake some goodies. I feel so relaxed when I bake, so if you can manage it, make some cookies or brownies. No need to share them if you don’t want to!

Happy weekend-ing!

Image courtesy of Unsplash.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.