Short Term, as told by Disney’s Leading Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Cover art by viria13

Short term — the holy grail of the Bates academic calendar — is finally upon us in all its glory. Warm(ish) weather, free time and Commons never seems to be too crowded? It seems like the stuff of fairytales. That got us thinking — what would the leading ladies of Disney be like if they came to Bates? 

1. Princess Aurora would be having too much fun at the Millenium Dance to leave. (Bye bye bye, Prince Philip.) 

Photo Credit

2. Rapunzel would have that flower child hairstyle down after lounging on the quad all day. 

Photo Credit

And what goes better with her Coachella/festival style than temporary tattoos? Boho tattoos, like these celeb-inspired tattoos from Blink Temporary Tattoos. We got over 60 cool designs in our Survival Kits, so you too can channel your inner free spirit…temporarily. (That’s what short term is for, isn’t it?) 

3. Jane would get caught walking across campus in the spring showers that seem to pop out of nowhere. Seriously, Maine, there was not a cloud in the sky ten minutes ago! 

Photo Credit

(Of course, this wouldn’t happen if Jane had picked up a Boo Hoo emergency poncho from her friendly Her Campus Bates team from the HC Summer Survival Kit…but we digress.) 

4. Tiana would be that one poor soul working their butt off during short term. Maybe it’s math camp (so she can crunch the numbers for her restaurant, obviously) or a kickass internship, but she would be putting the rest of us to shame. 

Photo Credit

If you are the Tiana of your friend group, then you might be interested in reading Rich Bitch by Nicole Lapin in which Lapin, financial guru/journalist, teaches collegiettes how to successfully manage their finances. We have plenty of free copies to give out. *wink wink nudge nudge* If you share Tiana’s entrepreneurial spirit, we also have referral information for chloe + isabel’s GEM program, which is a unique business opportunity for budding fashionistas. 

5. Belle would be hanging out in Commons all day or hitting Dairy Joy, probably waiting for the food to start dancing. 

Photo Credit

Craving something other than Commons? Short term is a great time to get off campus to eat with friends. If you happen to be heading to Portland, we have Chipotle coupons in our survival kit! They might not dance, but we still think burrito bowls are pretty spectacular. 

6. Mulan would be taking advantage of the warm weather and exercising outside. If you got to train, you might as well take a nice run outside or practice your battle skills on the quad. (True story, we have actually seen this happen.) 

Photo Credit

Sometimes (more often than we would like), however, the weather turns on us. Don’t worry though, HCB has your back. We have coupons for a 30 day free trial of Crunch Live, an online service that offers fun workout videos that you can do from the comfort of your own dorm room. 

7. Pocahontas would definitely be hiking Tumbledown. 

Photo Credit

We can’t wait for you all to enjoy the gifts in our Summer Survival Kit as much as we think these Disney Bobkittens would! Keep tuned for more details about how to get this free swag. 

Becca Carifio is a senior history major at Bates College. Obsessed with coffee, scarves, videos of cute animals and polka dots. Currently trying to convince her parents that reading comic books for her thesis on Wonder Woman during World War II is worth their tuition money.