Resistance to Trump’s “Muslim Ban”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Header image credit.

On Friday, January 27, 2017, President Trump signed an Executive Order directly barring Syrian refugees from entering the United States. This Executive Order also provisionally blocked admission to the United States from these seven countries, primarily Muslim countries: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. The full Executive Order text could be found here.

After the order was signed, students, visitors and green-card-holding legal permanent U.S. residents from the seven countries, along with international refugee were stopped at airports, unable to enter the Unite States and were required to return back to their respective counties.

This order created much chaos across the country, which prompted protest at major airports on the flawed immigration system. Many institutions, companies and individuals stood firmly against banning people of a particular faith or creed, race or identity, sexuality or ethnicity, from entering the U.S. On-site attorneys and lawyers were standing with protestors at the airports, offering their free services to those affected by this order–coined the term of “Muslim Ban” by many.

These tweets from the San Francisco airport depict the large resistance to the order, and support for the Muslim community and other refugees. Other major airports showed similar protestors and legal lawyer supporters.