absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Reasons to Vote on Tuesday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

U.S. midterm elections are rapidly approaching this Tuesday, and I know that some people are considering abstaining from voting. Here are a list of reasons as to why that’s a bad idea:

1. If you don’t vote, the ghosts of the founding fathers will haunt you relentlessly for the rest of your life. Do you really want to be followed around by a dead white guy yelling outdated insults and screaming at you forever?

2. The people working at polling places will get lonely and bored, and that’s not nice to them.

3. You’ll be disappointing Lin-Manuel Miranda, and just look at this face:

You don’t want to let down this man, do you?

Do you??

Didn’t think so.

4. This monster will be in your room as you try to sleep. He won’t do anything but breathe heavily and stare at you, inching slowly closer to you.

5. Mark Ruffalo will Hulk smash you into the nearest solid object. True story.

But in all seriousness, voting is our one chance to elect people we believe in to positions of power in this country. If you don’t vote, you don’t have a say in who represents you for the next few years, and local politics is so important. So this Tuesday, please vote. 

Even if you think your vote doesn’t matter, it really does. There are some elections that get decided by just a few votes, and yours could be one of them. Besides, if you don’t vote, then your vote really won’t matter.

Find your polling place here and learn more about your candidates here.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.