Keep Long-Distance Relationships Kickin’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Although long-distance relationships gain many negative reputations about how hard they are to maintain, there are so many simple ways to keep the sparks flying. Coming from a person who never thought in a million years that she would be in a long-distance relationship, keeping in touch with your creative side is crucial when you can’t see your S.O. on the daily. Don’t feel like you have to be in contact every single minute because you might miss out on whatever is happening in the present. Instead, follow these key tips for maintaining your presence in your own life, while maintaining a relationship with a significant other miles and miles away.

FaceTime, FaceTime, and a little bit more FaceTime

Whether you’re just checking in after a long day or want to spill an amazing story from the weekend, there is just something about seeing your favorite person on your screen that makes you feel close to them. Phone calls work too, but if it weren’t for FaceTime, how would you be able to compliment (or joke about) your S.O.’s new haircut?

Think Old School

Throw an old school curveball…write letters! Most of us send and receive tons of texts every day, but it’s pretty rare to find a handwritten letter in the mail. Technology is great for instant contact, but taking the time to write and send a letter provides another level of respect for the relationship. Sticky notes also serve as throwbacks to the elementary school days when you would pass notes to your crush. Sending cute sticky notes stamped with a kiss or hiding little sticky notes with messages in your S.O.’s bag/dorm room when you go to visit are just small messages to show you care.

Schedule a Date (even if it’s virtual)

Having something to look forward to is awesome, and scheduling a date helps you stay present wherever you may be. The scheduled and specific space set aside gives you the time to just spill whatever stories you want to share from the past week. I’ve found that when you value scheduled time, your relationship grows stronger and definitely more secure.

Plan visits

Nothing is better than booking a ticket or planning a road trip to see your other half. Make time to go visit your S.O. at their college, get to know their new hometown, and meet all of their close friends. Although you may wish you went to the same school as your best friend, visiting their college will remind you how much each of you grow as individuals during the difficult time apart. Visits always seem way too short, so when you’re not ready to leave after a full weekend with your S.O., don’t forget to focus on the well-deserved treat it was!

Catie Spaulding is a 2019 Bates College graduate. In her free time, she enjoys singing the wrong lyrics to almost every song imaginable, contemplating big and small life questions with anyone around her, and debating what flavor ice cream to pick up on the next grocery run.