How to Make the Most Out of Your First Weekend at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Take a Nap

Leave the dining hall by 7 pm the latest so that you have time for an hour and a half nap before starting to get ready

Eat a Fulfilling Meal

Make sure to include a carb (bread, pasta, etc.) to absorb the alcohol

We get it, you want to be healthy and eat a salad but your body will thank you the next day if you eat a well-balanced meal with a good amount of bread

Take Your Time Getting Ready

Treat Yo Self: Get yourself in a robe, put on your favorite playlist, maybe get a warm beverage fresh from your Keurig, then pull out your palettes and get to work. If you want to look as good as you can, then go all out with your hair and makeup and sneak some cute pics in before you leave for the party. But, fair warning, you will be sweaty AF after about 20 minutes inside, ultimately ruining your efforts. We’re personally big proponents of natural hair with a done up face.

If you need to take an hour to pluck your eyebrows or to perfect that winged eyeliner do it! You want to look and feel your best, so we say to go that extra mile.

Choose an Outfit You Feel Comfortable In

With Maine’s climate, you just never know what the weather’s going to be like. Sometimes it’s 50°F in September and 80°F in October. One things for sure: winter is COLD. For this reason, a lot of girls wear rompers and dresses out the first weekend back because it might be one of the last times they can before it gets too cold. (And because they’re cute as heck!!)

Leggings are a classic party attire. They are super comfy and give you that flexibility that jeans simply do not provide, so you can dance your heart away.

But What Shoes??

Sneakers or sandals. Sneakers are the best and safest option to make your night as fun as possible. Sneakers are comfortable, protect your feet from getting stepped on, provide great ankle support for dancing, and if they get dirty from the layer of mud that inevitably accumulates on the floor at parties, it’s not the end of the world. On the other hand, sandals are definitely riskier, but they are way cuter and can’t be worn anymore after September due to the dropping temperatures. Despite this debate, one things for sure: NEVER wear heels. You’ll probably fall and your feet will KILL by the end up the night.

Drinking

As the wise philosophers of LMFAO once said, “SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! EVERYBODY!” Ok, but actually be careful. As one would expect, your tolerance decreases over the summer if you’re not consuming as much alcohol as you do during the school year, and if you’re a freshman, your tolerance is probably low as is. While you want to go hard on your first weekend, make sure to take it slow and be careful and mindful of how many drinks you’ve consumed. It’s helpful to keep a tally on your hand! No one wants to blackout their first night back, or even worse, get EMS-ed. And remember: drinking is never required. You can still have a #LIT night sober.

Arriving to the Party

First things first, make sure your entire squad makes it inside. TIP: it’s easier to get in the smaller your group is. If you’re an underclassmen, it may be especially hard just making it through the door. If you’re an underclassmen guy, you may find it even more difficult, but that discussion is for another article. Once you’re inside, enjoy it while you can. Catch up with everyone you know, dance, sing at the top of your lungs, whatever. Chances are no one at the party is going to remember the embarrassing things you did, so just have fun. First night back, full send.

The After Party

If you go to a school like Bates, chances are the party is over by 1:30 am. But what next? At this point, you’re probably still pretty drunk (or not….everything is relative) and definitely not ready to go to bed quite yet. So, what’s the move? We recommend ordering a few pizzas from Papa John’s as you unwind and recap the night with your friends. Maybe the cute boy or girl you met at the party just poked you on Facebook, hit that shit up no shame. Or maybe you do just stumble back to your room and pass out in bed wearing a full face of makeup. However, you choose to end your night, make sure you remember to take your birth control!

Michaela Pinette is a junior at Bates College. She is a Biology and Economics double major. In her free time, she enjoys napping, going to the gym, watching the bachelor, drinking copious amounts of coffee, and pulling all-nighters to finish homework.
Elizah Laurenceau is a senior at Bates College. Her hobbies consist of rewatching Call Me By Your Name, using Huji to take pictures, and playing with her dog. She spends her days either glued on her computer or late nights finishing up work.