Get With The Times at HC at Bates: Here’s What You Missed

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

On October 3rd, Her Campus at Bates hosted a livestream watch party of the Get With The Times event at the University of Maryland, where Senator Bernie Sanders spoke with New York Times correspondent Alexander Burns. The other Campus Correspondent, Elizah, and I arranged the event, and with the help of some dedicated friends and HC at Bates chapter members, pulled it off. The afternoon and evening went as follows:

4:45

Elizah, Michaela, and I picked up the baked goodies HC ordered for us from the local Italian Bakery in Auburn- we had a car full of sweet treats that smelled awesome.

7:20

We moved the New York Times swag from Elizah’s dorm room to the event location in Pettigrew Hall and started set-up with the help of chapter members and friends.

7:45-ish

People started arriving and delighted over the treats from the Italian Bakery and the large quantity of pins, stickers, and other paraphernalia for them to snag. We took pictures with the big Instagram frame cutout sent to us and goofed around, listening to music.

8:00

The livestream began! People settled into their seats and watched Senator Sanders discuss the importance of voting with Alexander Burns and answer questions, both from the live audience at the University of Maryland and from video submissions from other schools. We at HC at Bates cheered when we saw our video submission on-screen. Elizah asked about combatting attempts to suppress student voter turnout, something very near and dear to many students at Bates since a few years back, flyers circulated on campus that tried to keep students from getting registered to vote.

Senator Sanders encouraged students to both register to vote and to also work to increase their media literacy; in other words, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. He underlined the importance of checking and receiving news from multiple sources and making sure the information you share is accurate. Most importantly, Senator Sanders urged students to get involved in the political process- vote!

Check out the deadlines to register to vote in each state below:

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.