This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Whenever I watch TV, I always seem to end up on the Food Network. Whether I’m watching chefs cook delicious meals, eat greasy food, or face off in a competition, I am consistently entertained by the programming. Here’s a breakdown of some of my favorite shows on the Food Network.

1. The Pioneer Woman

Don’t get me wrong, Ree Drummond isn’t the best TV personality and many people do not enjoy watching her on television. But, you gotta admit, she cooks some tasty looking food. Cooking for a family, Ree serves up classics like mac and cheese and chocolate cake. If you’re a fan of hearty, home cooking that will make you stuffed, The Pioneer Woman is for you.

2. The Kitchen

First off, The Kitchen has an All-Star cast. You got Jeff Mauro, the sandwich guy. Sunny Anderson, who cooks home-cooked classics. Katie Lee, with simple, healthy dishes and desserts, and Geoffrey Zakarian, the fine dining chef. Plus, it’s a really informative talk show, so you learn a lot about food!

3. Barefoot Contessa

If you don’t think Ina Garten is a culinary God, then we can’t be friends. Ina cooks simple classic dishes with the freshest ingredients. Ina always uses proteins from the local butcher, fresh herbs, and many of the vegetables come from her own garden. You will find yourself entranced by how well she measures all of her ingredients and fosters an incredibly healthy relationship with her husband. Go Ina!

4. Chopped

Competitive cooking has become more and more popular recently, but Chopped will always be one of my favorites. Scott Conant and Amanda Frietag are some of my favorite judges and Ted Allen is the perfect host. Sometimes, I like to imagine what dish I could possibly create if I was given those mystery ingredients. The chefs often like to make last minute crazy decisions that will drive you insane, but it’s definitely entertaining!

5. Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives

Easily one of my favorite shows on television, nothing is better than watching Guy Fieri stuff his face with some kind of greasy, cheesy, barbequed, fried, deliciousness! I always look to see if he goes to restaurants in my area and if he does I add them to my list. Guy is so ridiculous that when you’re not drooling over the food, you’ll be laughing at his shenanigans. 

Main image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Sophie Warren is senior at Bates College majoring in biology and history. She's from Massachusetts but was born in Wisconsin, so cheese is a really important part of her life. Her interests include dogs, tacos, and chillin.
Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.