This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast-approaching, and you may be scrambling for a date idea that isn’t the usual “Netflix and Chill” or “dinner out” type of route. Well, here are a few potential date activities for all you lovebirds out there.

Craft night. Agree not to buy a V-Day gift for each other, then spend a few hours together making each other a gift! You’ll have something handmade from your sweetie and the memories of making things together. 

Volunteer together at a local organization, like a homeless shelter or soup kitchen. Not only will you get to spend time with each other, but you’ll also be spreading the love and giving back to the community.

Make each other a meal from scratch at the same time, in the same kitchen. Ideally, this will result in a bit of a mess and lots of laughs as you navigate sharing the space and tools. 

Take a class together. Learn a new skill with your honey, whether it’s a language or cooking or building, etc. Bonus: if you continue on with it, it’ll be something you could potentially put on your resumé!

Play outside in the snow. Have a snowball fight or build a snowman/snowwoman or construct a snow fort. Whatever it is, play around in the snow and when you’re done, head inside and cuddle to warm back up! ;) 

Have fun getting your love on with your Valentine, and be sure to check out this article if you want gift ideas that aren’t your usual chocolates!

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.