samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finals Week Survival Kit Thank You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

The HC Bates editorial team is settling in for our long winter’s nap, but we wanted to give a shoutout to Her Campus nationals and the lovely sponsors who put together the Finals Week Survival Kit that we gave away last week! (We apologize if hearing the word finals gives you painful flashbacks, even now.) From long days reviewing material you didn’t even remember learning in September, to editing that last paper 30 minutes before you needed to email it to your professor, free stuff made it a little bit better. 

We still have a limited supply of goodies left over, so hit us up on Facebook , Twitter or in person when we get back to campus to score some “First-Week-Back Survival” free stuff! 

Here are the staff picks from this semester’s finals kit:

Cold-EEZE Quick Melts: 

I have been a fan of Cold-EEZE for YEARS. I swear by the lozenges and give them out to all of my friends when they complain about getting sick. Basically, they are a zinc supplement, because zinc has been shown to shortern the duration of a cold. If you start taking Cold-EEZEs regularly the second you feel the first symptom of a cold, the first time you sneeze or feel a scratchy throat and think, “Uh-oh,” then I guarantee that your cold will feel shorter, or, if you’re lucky, feel like it never happened at all. If you wait until you’re full-on sick or you only take one, tough luck, buddy. There is a very limited window in which these will work. That being said, the worst thing about Cold-EEZE lozenges is the awful taste and the fact that you have to wait to let it dissolve, which takes at least 10 minutes. That’s why I was so excited about trying the Quick Melts – they taste so much better (orange flavor), and they dissolve within 30 seconds. I actually think I managed to avoid a cold during finals because of these – so important to have the extra immune system support when you’re stressed out and not getting enough sleep.

Kettle Maple Bacon Popcorn

I actually don’t really know how I feel about this one, but I had to pick it because it is just so interesting, which was pretty much the reaction of everyone who tried it. It doesn’t taste like bacon, it’s more of a sweet, smoky flavor, which is totally unexpected from popcorn. It’s a little confusing at first, but it grows on you. Plus, Kettle packaged the popcorn (with some classic potato chips – yum) in awesome “Hey Neighbor” burlap tote bags. Doesn’t get any better than free snacks and free totes! 

Here are the fan favorites

Chocolate Peppermint Luna Bar: 

We have no more Luna bars left because they were so popular. They are the perfect tasty energy bar to get through the stress that is finals. The chocolate peppermint flavor makes us think of winter and of going home soon for break, and they were just the right kick you need in the middle of the afternoon to get through that last problem set. Luna is marketed as being designed for women, but it’s delicious for everyone, so I loved seeing the boys enjoy them, too! 

Chipotle Gift Certificates (Buy One Get One Burrito Cards): 

These went so fast, we had to carefully ration to make sure that people weren’t taking more than one. Chipotle is a favorite among Batesies (and really college students – no, people – everywhere). We don’t have a Chipotle near campus, but people were thinking of who they wanted to take out to eat when they got home. Besides being delicious, Chipotle also has heart. The company recently publicized a mission statement called “Food with Integrity,” which details its efforts to use more organic ingredients and naturally raised meat than any other restaurant chain. Go, Chipotle! 

There’s still a little bit more to give away! Unfortunately, the Chipotle gift cards and the Luna bars are gone, but we still have Cold-EEZE, Tresemme 7 Day Keratin Smooth Shampoo samples, and coupons for Cosabella underwear. Thanks to all the sponsors of this semester’s finals week survival kit for getting us through this trying time. You rock. 

Becca Carifio is a senior history major at Bates College. Obsessed with coffee, scarves, videos of cute animals and polka dots. Currently trying to convince her parents that reading comic books for her thesis on Wonder Woman during World War II is worth their tuition money.