Comedy Specials to Watch When You’re Procrastinating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Procrastinating: many a college student’s activity during times of overwhelming stress. Below, I’ve compiled a list of some comedy specials available on Netflix for you to watch when you’re faced with the crushing burden of schoolwork. Sometimes, we need to laugh a little to blow off some steam.

• John Mulaney: The Comeback Kid
    • I’m a sucker for a good John Mulaney show, and this is no exception. Neither is “New In Town” or “Kid Gorgeous at Radio City.” He was a writer for “Saturday Night Live” once upon a time (he helped create the legendary character Stefon), and his comedy has only gotten better.
  • Bo Burnham: Make Happy
    • Burnham is so good at infusing music with comedy and comedy with music, all while retaining deeper themes of equality, mental health, and love. Also worth checking out? His show “what.
  • Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King
    • You may know Minhaj from his stint as a correspondent for “The Daily Show,” but he really shows off his comedic chops in this Netflix special.
  • Ali Wong: Baby Cobra
    • Wong focuses on motherhood and pregnancy in her Netflix special, and it’s hilarious. Whoever said women aren’t funny clearly wasn’t aware of Wong. Or Chelsea Peretti, which leads me to…
  • Chelsea Peretti: One of the Greats
    • I love her as Gina on “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and I love her here.
  • Katherine Ryan: In Trouble
    • Another great comedian, Ryan talks a lot about sex. Like, a lot. And she’s delightfully funny. Side note- you can find quite a few clips of her “Live at the Apollo” shows on YouTube.
  • Michael Che Matters
    • Yet again, a comedian you probably know from elsewhere, Che rocks on “Saturday Night Live,” and he rocks here, discussing racism, gentrification, and other super topical issues. The first time I saw this, I was legitimately rolling on the floor laughing.
Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.