Campus Cutie: Lauren Stimpert ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.
This week Her Campus Bates is pleased to feature THE Campus Cutie, Lauren Stimpert. A senior from Amherst, NH, this girl is truly the whole package. In addition to excelling in her academics, Lauren can be spotted each and every day dressed to the nines and flashing her contagious smile. Despite her petite frame and Lilly Pulitzer clothing, she’s tougher than she looks. Check out our exclusive interview with Lauren to learn why you shouldn’t challenge her to a shooting match and why we’ve already hired her as our future lawyer. 

Name: Lauren Stimpert

Class year: 2016

Hometown: Amherst NH

Area of Study: I’m a politics major with a double minor in French and history.

What are you involved in? Bates College Republicans, Student Conduct Committee, and I intern at the Lewiston District Court!

What are some of your hobbies? Hanging out with my little brother, reading historical fiction and anything politics related, sketching (when I have time!), downhill skiing (I raced in high school!), playing violin and piano, watching football (I’m obsessed with the Patriots and all other Boston sports) and shooting trap and skeet. I like shooting pistols and rifles too – anything to get me to the shooting range. I’m secretary of my local fish and game club so I guess you can say it’s a good fit! 

What’s something that we don’t know about you? I was a military brat when I was little. My dad was a fighter pilot in the Air Force, so we moved around a lot. Living on and around military bases instilled in me early on a deep love and appreciation for the men and women who protect our country. Go Air Force and go America!

Why Bates? When I first started looking at colleges junior and senior year, I knew I wanted a small liberal arts school that was close to home. I was looking for a school where I would be able to have academic opportunity without losing my identity-I didn’t want to become just a number at a huge school. When I visited Bates, I loved the close-knit community I saw just in the first tour. I could really see myself here-I could see myself taking classes, eating in Commons with friends, and participating in all the clubs and activities!

Style inspiration? Audrey Hepburn, Kate Middleton, and Blair Waldorf :)

What’s your dream job post-graduation? Well I’m hoping to attend law school right out of Bates. I’m in the thick of applications right now. Through my three years working at Lewiston District Court, I’ve developed a keen interest and strong passion for the law. I’m also kind of a nerd-I really like school! But I’m also open to any job that may come my way. If I were to have a job offer, I’d absolutely considering working for a year or two before law school! And after law school I hope to have some fabulous political-related job in DC.

What’s your favorite movie? Legally Blonde. I’ve loved that movie since I first saw Elle Woods take on Harvard Law. Some of my friends call me the Elle Woods (probably because I’m peppy and want to go to law school) which makes me love the movie even more.

Guilty pleasure? Chocolate! I’m a total chocoholic: my weakness is the bin of chocolate chips near the coffee in Commons – I grab a handful every time I walk by.

Favorite Bates memory? Gala both freshman and sophomore year (I studied abroad junior spring so I couldn’t go last year!) It’s a special time for so many reasons. I obviously love getting all dressed up with my friends. But gala is cool because the whole Bates community comes together. All students attend gala along with so many members of the faculty and their families. Seeing the whole school together at such a fun event reminds why I love Bates. Plus I love trying to swing dance even though I’m pretty bad at it!  

Life Motto? “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” Oscar Wilde