Campus Cutie: Laura Wolfley Payán ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie, Laura Wolfley Payán ’18 is breaking hearts on the Bates campus with her sweet disposition and sparkling smile (which is even sunnier and more beautiful than her hometown of Bogotá, Colombia). Laura may seem like an introvert at first glance (look out — her personality truly shines on the dance floor), but luckily for you, Her Campus Bates has the insider exclusive on this adorable catch and how to win her over: 

Name: Laura Wolfley Payán

Hometown: Bogotá, Colombia

Major: Undeclared, but most likely sociology

Year: 2018

Astrological sign: Sagittarius

Relationship status: Single 

Sexual orientation: Straight

Places where you can most often be found: My room or upstairs Commons.

Activities at Bates: I am a member of Latinos Unidos, President of the Spanish Club, and I do Zumba.

Best class at Bates: So far, the best class I have taken is Sociology of Health and Illness with Heidi Taylor. Professor Taylor is incredibly funny and intelligent. Over the semester, we looked at the U.S health care system from a sociological perspective. I definitely recommend taking this class!

Ideal job: I would love to work for BBC, CNN or the UN (Hopefully close to home)

You have an entire Saturday afternoon free. What do you do? I’d grab a couple of friends to drive into the city with me, have dinner and then go to a dance/salsa club.

Dream Date: Cooking a meal together would be sweet. Preferably brunch!

Tell us a secret. When it comes to Latin dancing…I’m no longer an introvert. 

What’s your go-to midnight snack? A grilled cheese sandwich (Anything with cheese!)

Fictional character you would most like to switch lives with? Tintin (The Adventures of Tintin) [because] he gets to travel the world. 

Photo Credit

Pick a superpower: Ability to travel through time. I would love to travel back to my parents’ childhood to see the different lifestyle that they grew up in.

Pick your Patronus: I think I would be a horse. Supposedly, a horse means finding a happy balance between social life and independence, and a sense of freedom of the mind and body.

Rollercoasters or nah? Yesyesyes 

What’s your theme song? Siempre Me Quedará by Bebe (I will always stay by Bebe. She is a Spanish artist – check her out.)

First thing you notice about a boy: His smile. 

Photo Credit

Biggest turn-off: No eye contact or a loose, cold handshake/hug

Top three favorite qualities to steal your heart: Affectionate, goofy and passionate at what he does. 

What is the best way to make a first impression on you? Be yourself, make me smile and be engaged in the conversation. I like when people are interested in what I have to say.

What is on your Bates bucket list? I can’t wait to go abroad! My top choices are Italy, Denmark or Argentina.

Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera (Photo Credit)

Becca Carifio is a senior history major at Bates College. Obsessed with coffee, scarves, videos of cute animals and polka dots. Currently trying to convince her parents that reading comic books for her thesis on Wonder Woman during World War II is worth their tuition money.