Campus Cutie: Ceri Kurtz ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Name: Ceri Kurtz

Class year: 2019

Hometown: Jakarta, Indonesia

Relationship status: Taken!

What are you studying at Bates?  Likely majoring in psychology and minoring in theatre

Something we don’t know about you?  My first name is actually Ceria, which means cheerful in Indonesian (trying hard to live up to that!)

What are some of your hobbies? Putting on odd accents, playing the uke (crappily), skiing (nothing like the d1 team though, I’m talking green & blue slopes), singing in the shower, and reading plays & mystery novels, specifically.

What are you involved in on campus? I’m co-president of the Sexual Violence Awareness Club (I’m super passionate about this!) and dabble in acting–though I’m not in anything this semester, I’ve been in 3 plays at Bates and am hoping to continue acting throughout my time here.

Best pick-up line: I put the sensual in consensual ;) 

Describe your dream date night: It’d start at an art museum, then a pit stop for some tea at a cozy book-filled cafe, and it would end with a play (and a dinner maybe, if its all good company).

Thing on your Bates bucket-list: Celebrity crush: Chandler Bing (not Matthew Perry, but the actual character!)

Favorite Bates memory? The puddle jump! So basic, but honestly it was amazing. My friend called me up and we decided to do it totally spontaneously dressed as smurf queens.  

Favorite Quote? “Don’t count the days, make the days count”  (though living by this is easier said than done!)

What/who is your spirit animal? A koala. Or Rory Gilmore (pre “A Year in the Life”).  

If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be? Umm, I’d change the fact that I don’t have a superpower. Being able to stop time–stop everything in the world–while you could still do your own thing would be aaaamazing (especially with finals week approaching :s) 

Ceri, thanks for being you and making Bates great!