Campus Celebrity: Zhenny Gong ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.
Friends, Bobcats, countrymen, lend me your ears! This week’s Campus Celebrity is the one, the only, Zhenny Gong! She’s a senior here at Bates, and a very accomplished one at that. Zhenny is a prime example of how hard work pays off, as she landed a job in investment banking for after graduation before the start of senior year! Between her academic success, outgoing personality, and good looks, it comes as no surprise that Zhenny has an incredible presence on campus. Next year she will take on the Big Apple and Her Campus Bates is sure she will accomplish great things. Check out our interview with Zhenny to learn why you should invest your time and money in her!

Name: Zhenny Gong

Class year: 2016

Hometown: New York, NY

Area of Study: Economics and Math

What are you involved in on campus? Bates Career Development Center, Student Conduct Committee, Senior Gift Committee

What are some of your hobbies? Sleeping, eating Skinny Pop (only the black pepper flavor), trying not to fail school while drinking copious amounts of red wine, living the swug dream…. In all seriousness though, I love being active and doing anything in the outdoors, traveling, hot yoga, and reading. 

Something we don’t know about you? I was actually born in China and didn’t move to the US until I was 6.

Advice for people wanting to go into finance? Networking will get you further than you think! Ask anyone you know for advice or guidance – you never know where it can take you. 

Tips on being an intern? This sounds pretty basic, but just don’t be stupid. Use your common sense and if you don’t know something, just ask.

Celebrity crush? My first crush was Jesse McCartney when I was in elementary school…that love will never die ;) 

What was your first thought when you woke up this morning? “How many times can I hit snooze?” I am so not a morning person and waking up for 8 am class will always be my worst nightmare.

If you could fly anywhere tomorrow, where would you go and why? Bora Bora – I’ve always wanted to stay in those huts on the water and lying on the beach sounds a lot better than winter in Maine! 

Favorite Movie? Saving Private Ryan. I’m actually a huge sucker for war movies – didn’t cry when I watched The Notebook or Titanic but cried like a huge baby in this movie. 

Thanks for being you, Zhenny, and making Bates great!