Campus Celebrity: William Cleaves ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

This past Sunday, this week’s campus celebrity took a break from working on his yearlong English thesis on Midwest poets to speak to me in the library. Senior William Cleaves’ celebrity status was confirmed as everyone who walked by shouted him a greeting. Our conversation led me to the conclusion that Will is someone who has taken advantage of every opportunity that Bates has to offer.

Talking to Will actually spurred an uneasy reality check on my own life, as I just am starting to really appreciate that my four years at Bates are rapidly coming to a close. He reminded me about all the wonderful aspects of our college, including the close-knit relationships between the friends we connect with and the memories we make with these people. Furthermore, he reminded me about the professors who open our eyes to a wealth of knowledge in which we can truly immerse ourselves. For example, Will’s favorite class was one we shared, called “Paradise Lost” and taught by Professor Steve Dillon. College is probably the only time in our lives that a group of kids can sit in a circle and animatedly talk about a 17th century epic poem, and it is so important that we appreciate it wholeheartedly. (Honestly, this is heaven for a couple of English majors—I know it may be hard to believe.)

Photo Credit

Will realized how incredible Bates is when he spent a semester of his sophomore year at Georgetown. Hailing from South Portland, Maine, he originally never thought he would stay in his home state for college, but ended up still choosing Bates. Footloose and ready to venture outside his home state, however, he transferred to the Washington DC university for the fall semester of his second year and this time away allowed him some gained perspective. Will did not appreciate the value and worth of a small, liberal arts education until he stepped outside of Bates’ bubble. A semester away was enough for him, and he transferred back to the school to which he knew he sincerely belonged. This new perception allows Will to offer a valuable nugget of wisdom—“Bates is not as small as you think.” His advice stresses to fellow Bobcats that there are always new people to talk to and new experiences to be had while at Bates.

Although I was bummed when reminded that our time at Bates cannot last forever, Will’s bright outlook on his own future definitely cheered me back up. When I asked him what he wants to do when entering the real world, he responded, “At the moment I think I want to go grad school or work in a start-up in New York City. A dream job of mine is to be an animator. Or maybe just follow wolves around. I’m kind of all over the place, but I could not be more excited about it.”

Photo Credit

As for now, however, Will plans on appreciating his final year at Bates. So far, he was excited to lead a group of awesome freshmen on an Aesop trip at the beginning of the semester. Will spends time with friends he met his first year at a small dance party in Smith North, who turned out to the same people he lives with now. Some of his favorite things to do on campus are socializing in Commons and enjoying the quiet, concentrated atmosphere of the third floor of the library. It is lucky that Will has at least one more golden year in New England, as his hobbies include hiking and supporting the Patriots.

The most amazing place he has visited was the city in India that is home to the Taj Mahal. He felt it was incredibly profound to witness a place with such a large population and desperate poverty, as well as to experience what it is like to be an outsider and minority. If he could have dinner with three people in history, Will would invite Marco Polo because he wants to understand what it would be like to venture to a completely unknown land, Van Gogh because Will spent a semester abroad in Amsterdam, and Jimmy Hendrix because, let’s face it, Jimmy Hendrix is just plain awesome. When asked if he harbors any guilty pleasures, Will wisely replied, “I’m not guilty about any of my pleasures because pleasures are something to be enjoyed.” Fair enough.

Photo Credit

Thanks again to Will for allowing me the time to pick his brain, as well as the many valuable pieces of advice. Get to know this week’s campus celebrity—you won’t regret it!

Jane is a senior at Bates College, majoring in English and minoring in History. Outside of class, she dances ballet and practices yoga, religiously listens to Dave Matthews Band, and is a firm believer that dark chocolate acts as a well-rounded meal.