Campus Celebrity: Michelle Pham ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Photo Credit

When she smiles, it brightens up the room. This week’s campus celebrity — Michelle Pham ’15 (A.K.A. Mama Pham) has a bright future. She is enthusiastic, warm-hearted, lovely and intelligent. She is the co-founder of AASIA ( Asian American Student In Action) and, of course, this very publication, Her Campus Bates. She is the one who makes things happen on campus.

What are three words that describe you?

Adventurous, spontaneous, ambitious.

How would you describe your self?

A 5’2 Canadian dedicated to making things happen!

What are some of your hobbies?

I really enjoy reading. I try to travel every year to new and old destinations. On the side, I dabble in photography and sewing. I also run a blog: heelsandsoul.com!

Photo Credit

“She is wearing a Michelle Pham.” She made her own Gala dress. 

More information about your blog? Why did you decide to start your blog?

In high school, I was part of an accelerated academic program and instead of learning how to cook and sew in home economics, I was on the technology fast track. My 30 classmates and I had to all set up a blog. I suppose it’s been 8+ years since I’ve been running a blog. When I was in Europe last year, I designed a new blog: heelsandsoul.com to capture some of my photographs and love for fashion. It’s a wonderful way to document your life and your thoughts as time progresses. The idea of digital memories hasn’t really caught traction yet and we still haven’t perfected how we will save our thoughts and precious moments in a digital age. To some degree, I always have inner conflict on how much I want to blog or what type of content I want to share but I enjoy having a platform to share parts of my life with friends who I’ve met throughout the years. Through my travels and experiences living around the world, it is difficult to keep in touch with everyone so it’s nice that I’m able to rant all these thoughts out into a singular place. Looking back at my old writings and work really lets me see how much I’ve grown and how incredible life has been!

Photo Credit

Favorite things to do?

Since living in Maine, I’ve become a huge homebody. I absolutely love desserts and am currently enjoying Twin Peaks and Gilmore Girls. However, whenever I’m back in the city, you’ll be hard-pressed to find me at home on most evenings! My best friends and I usually are out on some exciting escapade or we’re enjoying a late night bite and a slice of cake. Things are open 24-7 and being the nocturnal person that I am, I don’t leave the house till it’s 10:00pm and beyond.

Favorite place to travel?

So far, my favorite place might actually be London or my road trip in Iceland. On the bucketlist is Myanmar, Korea and an extended tour of certain parts of Japan. It’s happening this 2015. My passport is almost full to capacity with stamps!

Photo Credit

Soul food?

Anything sweet. Chocolate, panna cotta, and ice cream. 

Secrets of perfect skin and body?

Healthy mind and healthy body.

Styling tips?

Comfort is key.

Candles or lights?

I am all about the candles, warm lights and natural lighting. One of my must-haves in a home is wide windows where the sun can rush in every morning to great me. 

What traits do you look for in the ideal man?

Kindness, intelligence, quiet ambition, dedication to his craft, humbleness, independence, entreprenuerial, creative, enjoys house work and cooking, believes in the equal division of labor and improving people’s lives, good sense of humor…and lots of patience.

Relationship status?

Very pleased. 

Plan after graduation?

I will be working at Google in San Francisco after I spend six months working on a few personal projects. I’m planning to go back to work for a design firm in Vancouver called Kersh (kersh.ca) and to travel Asia for three months.

What is your goal of life?

Broad questions, difficult question to answer in a few sentences. Essentially the core of the life that I want to lead is one that can improve lives beyond my own. I want to live a live of innovation and in a few years, I am sure I’ll be running my own business that will be very mission and values-based. However, what is most important in life is love and our connections to people. I am living a full life and I plan to continue living this way. 

Ideal job?

Running my own business combining wearables with fashion. I believe in functionality meeting aesthetic design. 

What’s your motto?

Carpe diem!

If you could give any advice to your freshmen self, what would it be?

There is so much I would tell the Michelle of the past. There is nothing in particular that I would advice my younger self. Perhaps I’d tell her to leave the high heels at home for the weekend. 

Place on campus where you can most often be found? Favorite place on campus?

My house. My house. Home sweet home. 

Best Class at Bates?

Anything with Emily Kane.

Ideal job?

Bates Bucket list before graduation? (you have few weeks left…)

Finish thesis.

HerCampus Bates College Co-Founder Find me at: http://heelsandthesoul.com