Campus Celebrity: Joey Sallerson ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

I had the opportunity to sit down with Campus Celebrity Joey Sallerson. Here he spills all on his perfect date, his appreciation for the quarter zip, and the Strange Bedfellows.

Isabelle: Hey Joey. Can you tell me your favorite thing about where you’re from?

Joey: I’m from Chicago. I love it because it’s got all the big city amenities that NYC has without being the hub of the Western world. It’s lowkey and it’s humble.

I: Do you have any pets? Siblings?

Joey: I have a dog named Jessie. She’s an Irish doodle. I think my favorite thing about her is when she comes back from her walk in the morning and goes directly to my room and cuddles in my bed with me. I have a brother too, he’s in the movie business living in LA.

I: Let’s say you’re in Chicago, taking someone on a date. Walk us through your process.

Joey: Okay, so, first real date after coffee introductions? If someone was new to the city, I would take them to the rooftop deck at my apartment building that has this amazing view. I’d bring back food from one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants and have a candlelit rooftop dinner with a view of the city.

I: Tell us what you would have for your last meal.

Joey: For an appetizer, we’re doing french onion soup. Then s big rib-eye with creamed spinach, and some kind of potato; a fully loaded baked potato with cream, chives, the works. Dessert is something decadent but really delicate, like a gorgeous chocolate raspberry souffle.

I: What’s your favorite TV show?

Joey: If we’re talking drama, the West Wing. For comedy, The Office.

I: What’s your theme song?

Joey: A Letter by Blu & Exile.

I: If you could be any animal, what kind would you be?

Joey: Definitely a meerkat, because they seem to have a very nice kinship structure. I like the community aspect of it.

I: We know you’re a part of The Strange Bedfellows, the Bates improv group. Why did you join?

Joey:  My friend Tricia was in it, who I’ve known forever. We did improv together in high school and when we got to college she got right into it: she’s very motivated. I took longer to get it together: I needed to get to a place where I was a little more comfortable. I love being in Bedfellows, it’s opened me up to a whole new world of opportunities and people.

I:  Can you tell us a little about being on the golf team? What’s your go-to golfing outfit?

Joey: Let’s start with a muted pant, a regularly colored shirt (like something normal, a navy, something maroon, something darker). Then the quarter zip: because it’s the quarter zip season. Make that a bright color, just go for it.

Isabelle is a Junior at Bates College. She enjoys being cozy, makeup, and fine cheeses.
Elizah Laurenceau is a senior at Bates College. Her hobbies consist of rewatching Call Me By Your Name, using Huji to take pictures, and playing with her dog. She spends her days either glued on her computer or late nights finishing up work.