Campus Celebrity: Annie Horstmeyer ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Name: Annie Horstmeyer

Year: 2016

Hometown: New Canaan, Connecticut

Area of Study: Environmental Studies & Math

Something we don’t know about you: I won an junior engineering competition in high school.

What you are involved in on campus: I intern for the Alumni Engagement Office, volunteer for the Nutrition Center downtown, and frequent Yoga Kula classes. I dabbled in the Bates sailing and lacrosse teams freshman year but decided ultimately that the NARP life was much more suitable. 

Interests and hobbies: I love to ski, you can find me in the mountains most of the winter. Even if there isn’t snow I like being outdoors anyway, hiking, running, playing soccer with the Zoo Pals, swimming in the ‘scogg, or jumping off cliffs into a lake somewhere. I’m fascinated by architecture and urban design and hope to pursue a career in one of those fields after graduation. Most importantly, I am very talented sleeper and thoroughly enjoy practicing that skill.

Why Bates? I had some fixation on Maine in high school. I decided early on that I wanted to go to Bates, Bowdoin, or Colby. I think that mostly had to do with the fact that I wanted to be able to be near the mountains. The major factor in my decision had to do with the people here: everyone I know who went to Bates are passionate, smart, and really fun to be around.

Favorite part about being a senior so far: Living with my pals in the Zoo.

Describe your typical Bates day: Two eggs over medium on an english muffin, 8 am class, Commons coffee and thesis work, working in Lane Hall or at the Nutrition Center, getting a sweat in, and then hanging out in the basement of Ladd until I finish my work or until someone wants to go to the Den for a senior beer.

Thing you are most looking forward to in the winter: Skiing! if it ever snows…and if it doesn’t I’m heading out to Breckenridge in Colorado for 10 days in March.

What is your plan for next semester? I’m finishing my final college credits next week (yikes) so next semester I will split my time working as a ski instructor at Sunday River, interning for Dirigio Solar in Portland, and figuring out how to regularly sneak into Commons. 

Three words your friends would use to describe you: Honest, determined, and adventurous.

Photo Credit

What you do if you won the lottery: Pay my tuition to graduate school & squirreling the rest away so I could afford travel throughout my life.

Most amazing place you’ve ever been: I spent a couple of days training through Switzerland last fall, which was some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world. However, I also have to give a shout out to my former host city, Copenhagen, which I will always regard as one of the most amazing places to live in the world.

Place you’ve always wanted to go: New Zealand.

Favorite Bates memory: Newman Day every year. 

What you will miss most about Bates: Living with my best friends, and Maine, but hopefully I can still have some of both in the future.

Best place to hang out on campus: Fireplace lounge on a snowy day.

Favorite movie: Good Will Hunting.

Photo Credit

Design your final meal if you were on Death Row: Huevos Rancheros from Rosie’s in New Canaan.

Advice for underclassmen: Study abroad, get off campus every week, and enjoy the company of your friends, unfortunately you won’t always have the opportunity to be around this many awesome people every day.

Jane is a senior at Bates College, majoring in English and minoring in History. Outside of class, she dances ballet and practices yoga, religiously listens to Dave Matthews Band, and is a firm believer that dark chocolate acts as a well-rounded meal.