Campus Celebrity: Abby Ford ‘20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

If you haven’t heard yet, the Bates field hockey team has had an amazing season so far. Luckily, we’re able to meet one of the sophomore members of the team, Abby Ford! Get to know our Campus Celebrity’s favorite spots on campus, her favorite ways to relax, and some of her best memories at Bates so far.

Hometown: Wells, Maine

Class year: 2020

Major: Sociology

What’s your favorite part about being a sophomore?

Abby: Field hockey season. I get to play my favorite sport with all of my friends.

Least favorite part?

Abby: Work got a lot harder!

Favorite commons food?

Abby: It’s got to be focaccia chicken.

Best spot on campus?

Abby: The puddle! It’s right outside of my window.

What are you involved with on campus?

Abby: I’m a part of the field hockey team, and I also spend time volunteering. I volunteer in the Lewiston schools, as well at the Center for Wisdom’s Women.

Speaking about field hockey, how is your season going? How was the Colby game? FYI: Bates beat Colby with only seven seconds left in the game!

Abby: Field hockey season is my favorite time of the year because I get to hang out with all of my friends. The Colby game was amazing! We had to win to go to playoffs, and we have been in this position for the past three years. We went into the game knowing we had to win, so the energy was SO high on the sideline. It was raining, which made it even better. We had a rough start to the season, but beating Colby again, beating three different top six teams, and being nationally ranked for the first time ever was really exciting. We all just did not want the season to end at all, so everyone worked so hard to ensure that it wouldn’t. My heart was beating so fast at the end of the Colby game, but as soon as Taylor scored the winning goal with seven seconds left, I was just so relieved and SO happy that I was jumping on the sideline!

What’s your favorite way to unwind at Bates?

Abby: I either work out or end up hanging out with my friends to relax a bit.

Where are you thinking about going abroad?

Abby: I’m thinking Europe, and I was looking at Prague!

Favorite memory at Bates so far?

Abby: Before every night, we dance in the locker room and blast music. It’s so much fun just to goof around before the game, and it’s BY FAR my favorite memory.

What are you looking forward to for the rest of the year?

Abby: I’m looking forward to Short Term because it was a ton of fun last year, and I really got to relax, hang out, and have fun with my friends the entire time!

Thanks for all you do to make Bates great, Abby!

Catie Spaulding is a 2019 Bates College graduate. In her free time, she enjoys singing the wrong lyrics to almost every song imaginable, contemplating big and small life questions with anyone around her, and debating what flavor ice cream to pick up on the next grocery run.