This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

We all know it’s important to be comfortable when we’re studying. Whether we’re holed up in Ladd Library or our rooms or PGill Atrium or Hedge or wherever people study nowadays, it’s crucial that we’re comfy when we hit the books.

Personally, I’ve found that while I need to be comfy, I can’t be too comfy or I run the risk of being tempted to snooze (more than usual, anyway). My go-to outfit tends to be the following:

A t-shirt or tank top under a sweater or sweatshirt. I love layering since I tend to have extreme variance in body temperature- one minute, I’m burning, the next, I’m freezing. I always try to have layers of clothes I can take off and put back on when the need strikes.

Jeans or leggings. Depending on the coziness of the top, I vary the coziness of the bottom. If the top is a bit more structured, I’ll wear leggings to balance out the comfort level, but if I’m sporting a slouchy top, I’ll wear jeans so I don’t feel like I’m wearing pajamas. I don’t need the extra help feeling like I’m about to fall asleep.

Boots or booties. I love taking off my shoes when I study so that I can put my feet underneath me (and consequently lose feeling in my feet and need to move them around every 10 minutes, but that’s besides the point), so I wear boots that I can easily slip on and off when I need to. Of course, socks are necessary as well. No one wants to see or smell my bare feet when we’re trying to focus on work.

A mug of coffee or tea. This isn’t part of my outfit, per se, but it’s definitely a necessary part of my studying life. I always need something to drink, especially when that beverage has caffeine in it. I’m rarely seen without caffeine.

Also not quite part of the outfit, but another thing I always have with me is a pair of headphones or earbuds so I can listen to music and/or tune out my surroundings while I work. I especially love listening to soundtracks, like the ones by the composers mentioned here.

Good luck on your work, everyone!

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.